Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Butia Eriospatha or Butia Yatay

butiaman
13 years ago

Does anybody know where to get these palms at a good price?I looked on ebay,there is a listing for butia eriospatha,but they want like $53 for a one gallon plant.I dont wont seeds,mabey seedlings.Jim I saw where you posted on here in 2008,You bought a nice looking Butia E. on ebay.How much did you have to pay for it?The only place I can find even seeds are in Europe,there's got to be some place in the States that sell them.Mabey in california or south florida.A 3 or 5 gallon size preferably.

Comments (55)

• jimhardy
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another guy just got back to me with these 2 Butias he has for sale.

Butia catarinensis 1 G, 16.00,
    conetainers, $5.00.
    Butia odorata(formerly capitata) sm. G, $8.00;
    15 gallon $60.00.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jim,thanks for looking for me.I tried looking up both of those palms,I found plenty info.and pictures on odorata.All I could find on catarinensis was info.No pictures.Jim check this out,I dident know there was so many different Butia palms.This could get very confusing.Check to see if he has some pictures and info.on both palms.Thanks again,and read this info.on Butia palms :)http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/thread/1274982818.html

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

I saw that thread,a while back -on EPS there was also a thread about this-so B.Capitata is actually B.Odorata.

There are as many types of Chamaerops too,who knew.

I got some BUTIA PARAGUAYENSIS seeds last fall but still none have sprouted.
    Here is a little more info on Butia catarinensis,this is from a new website and it's not quite in order yet.

Have not heard back from the other seller yet,I will let you know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butia catarinensis

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From what I understand,Butia Capitatas we all bought from a nursery or HD or Lowes are now considered B.Odoratas.Now what use to be B.Odoratas or now considered B.Catarinensis.I have seen many pictures of B.Capitatas that are blue or silver looking.Everyone i've had is light to dark green.Some websites rate B.Capitata,B.Yatay,and B.Eriospatha having the same cold tolerance.Then some rate B.Eriospatha having more cold tolerance,since they come from higher elevations.I think I would like to try B.Eriospatha or B.Catarinensis.There is a listing on ebay for B.Capitata super silver,I wonder if it's a real B.Capitata,or is it a B.Yatay,since there silver looking anyhow?I have four mule palm seedlings,was they crossed with B.Capitatas or one of the other Butia palms.Since B.Yatays grow taller than B.Capitatas and Syagrus Romanzoffiana are tall palms,would'ent they make a better cross to look more like a coconut palm.They would grow real tall like most coconut palms.Anyhow,let me know if you here anything else from that seller jim.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Butias are suddenly becoming very confusing palms! I also heard that what we thought was B. Capitata is no longer B. Capitata but actually a B. Odorata and B. Capitata is actually rarely grown in cultivation. Hopefully in the near future this gets settled, but this is the main thing thats keeping me from getting the rarer Butias.

I like the shorter growing one, Butia catarinensis. If they have similar cold tolerance to the common butia (whatever the name of that now is), it would make a great canidate for tropicalsque gardens because it would be easier to protect since it would never get too tall. Got to watch out for the spines though!

Good luck!

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

North of Florida palms has Butia catarinensis 1 G, 16.00, conetainers, $5.00.

You might try e-mailing him or I can e-mail him if you want one and see if he will list it or sell away from e-bay.
    I have bought T.princeps and many S.louisiana from him-great seller,great palms.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Hi Butiaman,

You may remember I bought 2 Butia Yatay's in a Lowes in Florida for a good price. I hope that helps. I recall you were on a budget and glad to see you sticking to it. Were you able to find a job yet?

Take Care :-)

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

My buddy in Cali got back to me about the Butias.

He says he may have a 1g B.Yatay and does have 5g B.eriospatha
    e-mail me at jimpdelaney@yahoo.com and I will give you his contact info.
    This is the same place I bought my E.horridus and E.princeps

E.princeps

border="0" alt="Encephalartos Princeps">

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've got three job offers,Im just trying to decide which one I will take.I have till friday to decide something.Thanks for asking Greg.Everyone in my neighborhood and people who stop here tell me that I should start up my own landscaping company.They tell me I have a good eye for design,I would love to have a job designing new landscapes.I have all the machines and tools to do it.I think im going to try and start my own landscape company on the side,I figure why not.I would like to figure out how to do this cross breeding palms also.Jim I will email you about everything,I just came in from working in my yard.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

That's good news. Take the job that best suites you and persue landscaping on the side. This way your money flow is stable.

I watered my Butias and other palms last night. It is unusually hot and humid here in New York City for a long stretch, but the T-Storms keep missing us which is typical in downtown Brooklyn NY. I figured since everyhting is in summer mode to give them a good drink of water to put on good growth and strength for the winter.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greg,when I planted my first pindo I would water once a week with a soaker hose.I never use tap water,unless I have to.I would leave the soaker hose on for about an hour,so the water soaked the area around the palm thourly,only if we dident get a good rain that week.I found out that when I watered my plants with tap water they got more diseases,or they just dident look good.I dont know how your tap water is but mine is loaded with chlorine and god knows what other chemicals.I have a water collection system that I use.No lie,Our water has so much chlorine in it that I can smell it in the water,if I was spraying plants with the water hose.Since I started using rain water all my plants look much healthier.Hope all your plants grow and do well this year.Take good care of those Butia Yatays :)

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Same here,35g rubber trash cans catch the rain water
    from the gutters.
    With 6"+ rain in May and 2"+ last night......
    no water shortage here!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think a landscaping job on the side is a really good idea! You can make some extra money and enjoy it, not to mention bring more of the tropics to your area! For now it will make a good side job, but if your lucky it could be a huge success.

I agree, tap water isnt the greatest thing to water plants with. I try not to, but most of the time I have no choice. The tap water here is suppose to be good but its probably not the greatest for plants. Plants seem to respond really well to natural rainwater. It probably gives them the minerals they need. I watered my plants a lot with rainwater last year and they took off very quickly despite the cooler temps we experienced.

Greg, too bad you missed the rain! Definitely many more opportunites for a good thunderstorm in the days to come. The humidity has been very high here lately (even some of the windows got fogged up) so its really feeding lots of strong storms which usually start to break down when they head toward the coast. But unfortunately the storms are pretty small in size and some spots end up completely dry.

Good luck!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I do use rain water and tap.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim for hooking me up,he seems like a real nice guy.I got a email from him today.Mabey at last I will get a B.Yatay.Jim how is your B.Eriospatha doing,did you plant it in the ground?Can you tell if they grow faster than B.Capitatas?Thanks again Jim :)

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

Butiaman can you call me 773 217 6784 mike

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

It is not doing much,I did not protect it very extensively and my guess is the roots were set back.
    It is starting to do better now and should be back in full swing by fall.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Butiaman,

I heard if you let tap water sit 1-2 days the chemicals disapate and it is fine to use. That's what people do before placing pet-shop fish in tap water.

Here is another trick I learned, use warm water not cold on temperature sensitive plants. I had banana's die when I water them with cold water in my greenhouse when it was chilly. They couldn't handle it. I also use warm water to speed up growth on some plants and palms and cool water if palms are too big for pots. Cool water on potted palms in my winter greenhouse slows them up to be still.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Randy,

Congratulations on your job hunt!!! Sounds like a great place to be when you have three offers...Way to go!!!

I just had my first flower pod open on one of my pindos this morning!! It sounds like a floor creaking when it starts to crack open...I am still amazed how nature works!!!
    The bees are already looming...so hopefully when they finally fruit and ripen...I'll have a great batch of jelly again this year!!! Have you ever tasted Pindo Jelly?
    You will probably really like it...Let me know if you would like me to send you some!!!

Good Luck with your new job!!!

Laura in VB

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hey Randy,

Congratulations on the new job!!!

Laura in VB

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,I really like my new job,I work with a lot of nice people.It's a lot closer to home than my last job also.Plus I've started doing landscaping also on the side.I'm doing a new house now.It just has what the contractor put in for now.I've always wanted to own a landscaping company,designing new lanscapes.I've heard the jelly from pindos kinda taste like peaches.God blessed me indeed,with three offers for jobs and starting up my own company.The job I got I work 10hrs a day,4 days a week,Monday-Thursday.This helps me with starting up my landscaping company.

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

Hello everyone I have been on this board for years and every once in a while theres always a person who causes problems. A few posts back in this thread I asked butiaman to call me. I had a butia eriospatha and I asked him if he wanted it. What was my reason. It was suffering from being in chicago. I actually tried to give this palm to wxman but he couldnt find time to come down and get it. I wanted the palm to have a better life because everyone knows I kill palms lol.

I brought the butia back on one my trips out of town. I dont remeber wich. Any way he was talking about he wanted one so I told him I had on the suffered damage here but was trying to recover and I asked him if he wanted it. He said YES!!! and told me a huge story how he couldnt find one down there. He asked alot of questions and asked me why would I send him the palm I told him the same thing I hope the palm would live passed me torching it in a city where palms shouldnt grow. I told him I have 30 palms in my yard and house some live some die.I told him I would send it If he paid shipping and he said he would "no problem" I told him I have paypal. I told him im taking the box to get weighed and I wanted the money for shippping right away.

He asked me when I could send it and I told him I would send it if he paid shipping. He was very excited over and over telling me thank you and "could I ship it right away" and I said I would try. Next day I got sick and called off from work and stayed hom. I didnt get on the net. He emailed me a day later asking my " why I didnt send it and why I didnt contact me?" He was acting like I ruined his day and he said something to that effect.
    I told him I was sick and I would try to send it this wee. He was very upset " saying he made a spot in the yard. So i boxed it after work weighed it at the post office they said 17 dollars it will e there next week 30 dollars it will be there in 2 days. So I paid for it to be sent in 2 days 30 bucks and had delivery confermation so I could track it. I called him while I was at the office he didnt answer so I left a message. I told him it was sent off and 30 bucks I want my money. I never got and email or call back. The next day I tried contacting him, he said he was busy and he had to go and call me later. Next day nothing from him until he recieved the palm. He says I hes paying me any money because the palms sick, which I already said and was one of the reasons I sent it to him. He tells me the palm has fungus and hes a pro and its a very sick palm. He gives me some story how this palm is gonna infect his palms how could I send this palm to him. I told him if hes telling the truth send the palm backk to me. Of course he says no. He send me emails saying how I tried to scam him giving him a sick palm when in really he was the one who stole the palm. He has the palm still saying how its gonna take his great palms skills to save it but hes not sending me my $30. If the palm was sick I would have not wasted my money sending it I would have thrown it away. So now you now dont deal with him he is either a scam artist or just a bad person. Like I said I told him give me my palm back because he said how infected it was and it was going to endanger his palms wich olny makes sense. But no he kept it wont return it and wont give me my $30 dollars back. $30 dollars thats very pety. I have brought back people palms always and never try to steal someone palms. This taught me a good lesson I will never bring palms back or get anyone palms again.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This guy is a joke.He dident tell me anything about the palm being sick.I asked him for a picture of the palm so I could decide if I wanted it or not.He never sent a picture,four days later he decided to mail the palm to me as he wanted to.I never told him to send me the palm because I had never seen it.Nobody would pay for the shipping on something site unseen.The palm looked terrible,half dead, rootted roots and it had pink rot and black spot all over it,If he dont know what black spot looks like when he sees it,he is no gardener.He sent me a email throwing off on the south and the people who live here.He said we was a bunch of stupid poor rednecks and the south is full of white trash people.He is one of those kind of people who think there all it and everybody else is stupid..I wouldent dare send something that looked that bad to anybody.People on this forum who has had any dealing with me knows I'm a nice guy,honest and a christian man.He even had the nerve to say 30 dollars is probably alot of money to people in my region.I will pray for this guy,because god knows I'm right and he's telling a bunch of lies.I would gladly give away all the riches on earth for the riches of heaven.I wont even dignify a response about him saying I stold his palm.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Why not pay for the shipping or return the palm ?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was going to be nice and send him a healthy 3 gallon Pindo palm,till he said that people in the south or stupid rednecks,and that 30 dollars was probably alot of money for people in my region.He was throwing off on my home and people in the south.He was saying that we are a bunch of poor stupid rednecks.He dident have to go there!He said that I signed for the package,not true.It was left on my front pourch by the mailman I guess.When I opened it I said to my wife what in the world did this guy send me.It was ate up so bad with disease it was pitiful.When he asked me to call him,he never told me how pitiful this palm looked,I asked for a picture of the palm and he never sent it.Then I dident here from him for four days,all of a sudden he calls me and said he sent it priority mail and it will cost me 30 dollars.He had a attiude on the phone because I wasent home when he decided to call,four days later now,and because I couldent speak at the time.I was at work and we are not allowed to talk on cell phones during working hours.I told him I would call him that night,well when I got home and checked my email,He had already sent me four of them.The first one saying he was going to have me locked up for fraud,he said he had confirmation I signed for it,I never signed for anything.I threw the palm in the garbage,it had pink rot so bad I dident want to plant it in my yard.Pink rot can spread to other plants,plus it had fusarium wilt wich there is no cure for.It came from the soil he had it in,black muddy,heavy soil.I threw it in the trash also,I dont want that fungis spreading in my soil.None of this would have happened if he would have sent me a picture of the plant first.I would have told him dont bother sending it,but he dident and sent it anyway.Jim you know you wouldent pay for something or the shipping of something without seeing it first.I am a nice guy and have gave alot of people plants and helped them with there problems with plants in there yard.People have gave me plants half dead,and I got the plant back growing and healthy and gave it back to them and gave them advise on how to grow them and keep them healthy.I was going to be nice to this guy,and send him a healthy palm,till his emails throwing off on people in the south,how dumb and poor we are.If people in the south are so stupid and poor,why does the president of Eastern Palm Society live in my home town?Jim I cant believe you would even ask me that question.After what I told you, and everyone how he did me about this palm and what condiction it was in and then theatened me and then had the nerve to throw off on my home and the people living here.I post on a couple other forums and this is the only one where I have had problems with one guy who got mad because I bought from other sellers on ebay and not from him.I spend my money where and when and on what I decide to.I'm the one who made the money in the first place.This Mike Jaramillo is a lier and one of these people who thinks people down here are stupid and poor,and he thinks he's all it because he can buy 8ft and 6ft palms and spend a thousand dollars on plants.He has to do that because he cant grow them from seedlings.He said and I quote I kill palms.He has to buy them grown already,he wants somebody to do the work for him.He thinks the world owes him something,well I got news for him this world dont owe him a thing,and neither do I.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is against the rules of this forum to use this forum for commercial gain.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Hey Mike
    Do you still have any of those WagxNanus seedlings?

Mine both rotted from all the rain we have had.)-:

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

yes I do jim they have 4 leaves now. I lost one to rot. They others have 4 leaves now. when there a little stronger Ill let you know. We have tons of rain also palms are all soaked and I hope nothing else gets damaged. Hows your cacti holding up?

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

First of all butiaman. I didnt post an ad for palms for sale. I posted an ad for you to call me and I told you you could have the palm for free over the phone.

I never called you a redneck or dumb or poor. I did call you a scam artist. If you new you couldnt afford to return me the shipping say so I would have sent it anyway!!! Your just a very old bitter person. I never asked you for anything and dont need anything from you. Im not going to say anything further. Because anything you do wrong you will find justification for it.

I hope you can save the palm thats why I sent it to you nothing else.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Mike

I would love to get 2 more of the WagxNanus,let me know-maybe they could dry out in the mail(-;

I have lost a bunch of Oreophilus and one of my Takil too)-:

The cactus are as fat as can be,hopefully I won't lose any to rot and this rain gives us a break long enough to dry out!

All the tropical stuff is going Bananas-wait until the 90s come back tomorrow and...................

• mike-jaramillo
    13 years ago

Wow im sorry you lost a takil I know how you love those. Im gonna get a few more things from euro palms and more WagxNanus. I let you now when. Im starting to see the difference in these seedlings. I have two that really look like t wagnerianus and the others have very very long leaves.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You know what you said in your emails to me!You pretend to be a nice guy on here,your not fooling anyone.Boy your noise is got to be completely brown jim.Make sure you dont cut off your supply line of plants you buy from mike.You do sell on here mike,you tell people to call or email you then you sell them plants.Same thing in my eyes,you do it that way so this forum does not kick you off it.Your still selling plants useing this forum.Your just doing it in a sneaky way.I know mike sells you plants,because he told me so on the phone jim.That's why your siding with mike.That's pretty pety,And I am not a scam artists and I'm not bitter.I'm a gardener,and a christian man.It's easy to see you were never tought to have respect for your elders.I've got plenty money,I dont need any favors from a lier,keep playing your little game.Make sure you sound like a good person on this forum.If people only really knew who you really are and how you think.I know!!

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Mike and I are friends,probably a foreign concept to you.
    We have traded some palms once,so I doubt he told you he has sold me plants because it never happened.
    I have also contacted him through this forum when you weren't around,if only i had known I was doing something wrong,darn it.

Your a gardener and a Christian man?
    Must be nice to not need friends,tell Jesus I said hi!

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you dont already know God,then I feel sorry for you.All the friends in the world will not get you to heaven.By the way I have many friends,mine are the kind of people who wont stab you in the back.Good wholesome christian people,who will do anything in the world to help somebody.Life is short,it flys bye in a blink of an eye,so suck up to mike as much as you want to.God said he would never leave us(christians)and never forsake us.I will take God anyday over a friend like mike.I will pray far your soul,because it's damed for etirnity if you dont know our loard and savior, and have taken him in your heart as your loard and savior and repented for your sins.I would gladly trade all of this worlds pleasures for the riches I will receive in heaven forever an ever.God Bless

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Seems like your doing alright with treasures here since you never pay anybody.
    Stop hiding behind god and be a man.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a 100% clean record with any sellers on ebay or off ebay.My profile on ebay is perfect no complaints,just great responces from sellers.I dont care what your so called friend says,he just wants to keep you happy so you will keep buying from him,and you cant even see it.I'm more of a man than you will ever be,God stands with me,you have got it backwards.You know what,your not worth my time to fool with.Your one of those kind of people who thinks he has to always get in the last word,pathetic,pathetic.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

LOL

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

See you just proved my point.It was none of your business in the first place.It was between me and mike.Not Jim Hardy.SO GET OFF IT.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

You involved me when YOU brought me into this-

Your words-

"Boy your noise is got to be completely brown jim"

"Make sure you dont cut off your supply line of plants you buy from mike."

As I mentioned I have never bought plants from Mike,he is kind enough to trade with me which is very much in the spirit of this forum-bringing people who love palms together(-:

True I did write this-
    "Why not pay for the shipping or return the palm ?"

Seem fair,if not no worries-

I did that because you guys involved everyone on this forum(P&C) when you posted here.

For the record-

Mike did not benefit or profit from sending you a palm that HE payed the shipping for and did not charge you,so you might want to think about that before you accuse him of profiting because he mailed you a palm.

How about we go back to talking about palms now?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sounds good to me.I dident want all this in the first place.I'm man enough to say I am sorry.It made me mad when you said say hello to Jesus.I died 3 times,and God brought me back.Far what reason,I dont know.God has blessed me and all my plants.That was the whole reason I joined this forum,to talk about palms.You know those Angel Trumpets you have been showing on the other post.I just threw away 4 of them.If I would have known you like them I would have gave them to you.I had one pink,yellow,white,and a double blooming purple.They was taking over my beds up against my house.The purple ones drop seeds everywhere.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

I know what you mean,my angels trumpets are taking over!

As I said,I don't even care if they bloom!
    I am having so much fun watching them double in size every 10 days.

• neonrider
    13 years ago

Where can I buy Butia Yatay palms (not seeds) of any size?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

neonrider,I didn't know what to think when I saw this old post again.As you probably read it got pretty heated on this post about a little palm.I look back on it and cant help but laugh.As far as where to get a butia yatay,there are a few growers in Florida and one in California that I know of that might could help you.Check on ebay first,sometimes they have them as small plants for sale.Brother Earth Nursery is a seller on ebay that might have one.I know a couple growers in Florida that might have them,but I would have to check with them first.There kinda hard to find because there not as cold hardy as a B.capitata,and there not as common in the trade also.Let me know if you cant find one on ebay and I'll see if I can find one for you.Good luck :)

• neonrider
    12 years ago

Hi Butiaman

I am unable to find large Butia Yatay. I would like to buy a large BUTIA YATAY (not B. capitata!), about 5-8 feet tall trunk. Are they hardy for zone 8A in South Carolina near Columbia? I've read they are hardy to 15F or -12C which will be fine here. Could you help me find adult yatay palms?

P.S. I found and bought small ones like 1-2ft. 1 gallon plants, but would like one or more adult trees as well.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

good luck with that. out here in California that would be a near impossible search... it is too rare to even hope to find one over 1 gal size most of the time. The size you are looking for are simply unheard of out here... finally, after nearly 10 years, the ones growing in the Huntington arboretum are nearly as tall as the ones you want. If you were lucky enough to find a good 1 gal plant, I would go for it.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

neonrider,
    Hey,I just saw where your looking for a big B.yatay.I know a guy around Macon,GA. that has big B.eriospathas for sale.If you are still looking for a big B.Yatay,let me know and I can see if he has them too.
    Randy

• neonrider
    12 years ago

Hi Butiaman,

Thanks, i'd like both Butia yatay and B. eriospatha whatever size is available, but large enough to survive planted outdoors.

Thanks

N/R

P.S. I did not get informed of your post although am subscribed to this thread, perhaps email got lost on the way.

• neonrider
    12 years ago

Only now I read the entire story with "butiaman" receiving free palms and not paying the shipping, what a shame. So typical in the South. I got conned by the local con artists so many times that I stopped trusting these people completely. I am sorry I even approached "butiaman" with any questions without reading the entire story.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just donated 50 Sabal Louisiana and 50 Trachycarpus fortunei x wagnerianus seeds to my city parks department.I also gave them 30 Musa Basjoo banana trees.I give away all kind of plants to people every year,especially the Banana trees.People see them growing in my yard and stop to ask me about them.They always ask me do I sell them,I tell them no,but I'll give you one.

Happy spring to everyone :)
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've been doing the same thing with my bananas. I have three clumps up against my back porch, so there is a space issue. I spade off any pups that are growing too far out of their place, especially since I'm getting a dozen pups coming up from each

clump (I started with just one in each spot). I root them in water then pot them and give them as gifts.

I also give hardy palm seeds to local parks. They just don't know it yet.

:-D