Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

My Yard, at night

tropicalzone7
12 years ago

Heres a pic of my newest addition (what I think is) a Silver Saw Palmetto! I will be planting it in the ground and protecting it this winter.

The teeth on what think is a Silver Saw Palmetto

href="http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/ww59/tropicalzone7/Yard%202011/?action=view&current=IMG_3333.jpg"; target="_blank">

Tell me what you think, and what you think a fair price would be for it. I think I got it at a good price!

Cape Jasmine has an amazing fragrance at night!

Livistonias with some Moses in a Basket as a hanging plant and some small begonias to fill up the gaps.

Banana Croton (I've had for 3 years) to the left and my new croton I just got is to the right. My windmill palm seedling (about 6 years old now beleive it or not!) is in the middle and my pindo palm is stuck in the middle.

My majesty palm is did great indoors and is getting some tip burn from the heat now. Im just keeping it well watered and I'll cut out the dead parts when it gets a bit more adapted to the warmer weather.

My large spinde palm and my new Lily of the Nile is in this pic.

Lily of the Nile "Midknight Blue"

This area will look even nicer when the pink oleander starts blooming in about 2 weeks!

Birds of Paradise leaf and the pool

Coconut palm and mandevilleas

My Dioon Spinulosum hated being in my unheated garage, but it must have been saving up some energy because a new pup came up out of nowwhere and I see some hints of a flush comming out from the mother plant.

Philodendron lighting up in the night

Solitare palm and Majesty palm are in this pic and many other palms and plants are as well

This lantana flowered and grew indoors and now its flowering again outdoors

New lantanas

A gardenia that can truly handle a zone 7 winter! I protected it with some christmas lights and a frost cloth, but it was still buried in snow for much of the winter and it was probably frozen for long durations as well. No damage and now its growing new leaves (and hopefully buds too!)

I really thought this young crape myrtle didnt survive its first winter because it was bare for so long in the spring. I never realized that they were pretty much the last trees to leaf out, but Im glad that mine came back with no problems.

My red Oleander was protected with Christmas Lights, a Frost Cloth, and a plastic Garbage bin this past winter. No damage and now there are flower heads all over the plant! Im very happy and I cant wait to see its red blooms!

All 4 of the plants in this pic survived the winter. The pansies could not have been given more neglect and they are still doing well. The Mediterranean fan palm only had Christmas lights and a broken plastic garbage bin for protection.

My first year with Brugs! Im hoping for blooms!

Musa basjoo to the right and Musa Saba to the left. Which one will grow the fastest, you'll find out!

Musa Velutnia and Ginger all the way in the background

Close up on some ginger

Eastern Prickly Pears making some new pads! I wish I gave them more space to grow, but I will prune them when needed and root the pads I cut.

Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I accidentally called the hanging Purple Heart plants a Moses-In-a-Basket plant. Just wanted to correct that.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Looks like your private oasis:) The saw palm looks like it should cost $50-$70. How much did you pay?

Just a note, the saw palmetto is used to treat prostate problems.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks greg! The Saw Palmeto was about 25 dollars! I thought it was a fantastic price and Im so happy I bought it! I never saw any for sale locally and I doubt any box stores will be carrying them around here anytime soon! I heard that Saw Palmettos were used for that. They seem like they are valubale palms to the medicine world!!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Nice new palm and a great price
    I love the crotons and the purple queen iam growing some this year too
    I never knew dioones make pups im surprised. My ingorund sago is making new leaves and the dioons should too

I also love the purple cordyline. Bring it inside for a few years and it will reward you.

I overwintered 3 green cordylines outside this past winter.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dennis. I didn't know dioons made pups either, but maybe because it saw some stress it decided for force a back up. The mother plant still looks alive though and it should be growing back soon so I'm not 100% sure if thats the reason for the pup.
    Im going to try to bring in the red cordyline. Im running out of room so if I do bring it in, that plant will probably be sent to the garage.
    Thanks for looking!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Great buy on that palm. Everything is coming along now if we just keep this heat going we'll have a jungle before long. I had 2 of those cordylines reach 4ft. before loosing it to scale during the winter. After that I just let mine die down every year.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks chadec! It looks like the heat is staying here to the weekend and the plants are loving it! Everything seems to actually be growing now compared to last week when everything sat there and stayed still! Its going to be at least another 2 months before things start looking nice and jungly, but its a big improvement from winter (I dont even think about that terrible word! lol)
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looking good-
    Can't wait to see how those Banana plants do this year!

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Very nice! It has a nice vibe that comes through even in pictures.

I just planted three saw palmettos in a clump. 2 silver, one green.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

25 dollars is a fantastic price! Many of the local stores here in Brooklyn are selling cold weather palms in blue pots. I guess they figured there is a market here for them and they are money-makers. One of the big suppliers like monrovia must be selling them.

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Nice as always Alex. I LOve serenoa repens. Florida has been bombarded with berry poachers as the berries sell for a high ransom to pharma companies. If you are in NYC, I am not sure they are hardy enough to over winter in the ground; even with protection. Considering how slow growing they are it would be a shame to lose one.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys!
    Protempsfish, I figure that the serenoa is about as cold hardy as a livistonia chinensis which I overwintered in the ground last winter with no damage and protection. I'll give the serenoa the same protection and it will probably see temperatures between 25F and 70F between December to February. I dont want to risk losing them, but I think they will do much better in the ground with the extra room to grow.
    Greg, Im not sure what the suppplier was because it was actually not labeled. However I was impressed because the people at the nursery were telling me that if I protected them, they would survive our winters (which tells me that they know that there are palms that have a chance in NYC!). I dont think Saw palmettos would be a great choice for a hardy palm here, but after a while, windmill palms get a little boring so I guess its time to try something else out!
    Thanks Jacklord. Keep us updated on your saw palmettos. I hope both of ours make it through the winter well!
    -Alex