Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

palm mess in front

lzrddr
12 years ago

another shot of my front yard... at least 16 different species of palm are in this shot, though only a leaf of a few of them. REcognize any?

Comments (23)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, thats a ton of variety! Of course I recognize the Blue mediterranean fan palm and Im pretty sure that I also see a Parajubaea coccoides. That tree aloe looks beautiful and that bismarkia all the way to the right of the pic is going to be so nice in a few years! Im pretty sure I see a livistonia (or maybe trachycarpus, or maybe both) in between the palms and it looks like the largest palm in the pic is a Phoenix of some species. I think I see a few fronds of a normal green form of a mediterranean fan palm out in the back. Its hard to say for sure since I cant get a clear view of it. Is that a young pygmy palm right next to the Bismarkia?

So 6 out of the 8 that I can see in this pic isnt too bad! It looks like you have a beautiful jungle in your yard! Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Always love seeing the variety in your yard....
    you can step off the sidewalk and get "lost"in a jungle of goodies-
    That Bizzy on the end will be the gate keeper in a few more years!

Nice!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Awesome, if I had a larger building thats what my front yard would look like!

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

I have to ask. If you are a male, do you have a wife? If so, has she seen this? If so, I wish she was my wife :) I do love your yard!

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

she has seen this and tries to forget it exists... I promised her years ago I would not overplant the front.. but close... huh?

No Parajubaea coccoides in photo, but P sunkha and torralyi (two different types), Trachycarpus NOVA and latisecta, Chamaerops (2- one blue, one normal), Several Phoenix hybrids, one Ravenea xerophila (in shade to right of middle), Livistona fulva, Bismarckia (there is a second in the middle of this garden, but it is completely blocked from view amazingly enough), Jubaea and Brahea (near very right corner next to Biz), and Archotophoenic leaves visible below the chocolate mimosa at corner of house near middle of photo... there are actually 30 more species of palms in this part of the yard but all hidden from view or off to the side a bit.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, thats a ton of variety! And I thought that was a chocolate mimosa! I only know of one chocolate mimosa in my area, but it is a really nice change from the normal green ones!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I hear all the hand clapping from nice people here, and wonder when someone will step forward and let the king know he is naked. Its overwhelming and not fair to your wife since she has protested and you have not made any compromise.
    It does not look good to me and I really enjoy palms. To the average person this looks like a jungle and not a front yard complimented by properly selected and placed palms. At least its not a drug additction. Its looks like an addiction like hoarding. Trying to over compensate.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Kind of similar to your comments Greg....

with the exception that the Lizard kings yard adds beauty to this world.

There,I stepped forward.

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

What mess? It looks great. Maybe trim off some of the lower leaves of the palms to open everything up

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I like the Chamaerops humilis cerifera.I have about 15 or so now.If someone tried that look here,the city code enforcement would make them cut or dig over half of them out.The city where you live must be real lenient on codes.
    Randy

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Lzrddr, if you are naked in there at least we'll never know it!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Oh,wives always say that-and also "Why do you need more plants"..THEN when company visits and are in awe of the plants or as a bonus they see plants they haven't seen since they left the old country (They grow HERE?? they marvel)...THEN wives are beaming at their husbands "beautiful plants"
    I know that one.
    And husbands can always drop that.."Well,I could spend money at the Whiskey-A Go-Go"...that puts things in proper perspective..hee...

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Best not spending money on wiskey and go-go..lol. Plants are better.

Jim, I am proud of you stepping forward.. how 12 step of you:))) Group hug... LOL

Chadec7a, :))))))))

Randy, your city actually trys to control the amount of plant life in your yard. Is this the land of the free in the USA anymore???

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, that you can even see these palms is thanks to the city cracking down on my planting the other side of the sidewalk (had to dig all those up) next to the street. I guess I have to be thankful for their resistance to going even more nuts with the palms.

I am thinking of thinning things out a bit this summer- the lawn (what's left of it) will go! ... it's a start?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Yea,less and less lawn in front of where I live too.

Then theres the Maple tree,I fantasize about cutting down
    every year-hey,there are plenty of Maples to see around here-
    but nowhere else to see palms/cactus growing in the ground in Iowa.....
    not even in Des Moines anymore )-:

Sometimes I hope a storm will blow it down...it blocks out
    5 hours of precious sunlight-

You do have to be careful what you wish for though.....
    (-:

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Greg,
    I live in the historic distric of Douglasville on front street.The city will only let you do so much before you break some stupid code.I had to get a special permit to breed pitbulls,because im in the city limits and on front street.I cant put up a privacy fence,but they dont allow chain link either.Most people around here have palms in there back yard,if they have any.I have all my palms in the front and on the sides of my house,all but one.That's why I wish sometimes I would have moved when I had the chance.This has been my home for 43yrs,nowhere else would seem like home to me now.Heck I've put to much work into this place now to move,LOL.
    Randy

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I cant plant on the strip of lawn between the street and sidewalk (you have to get a permit to plant a tree there because it is city property and palm trees are not on the approved list (but I am pretty sure that Crape Myrtles are at least!)).
    My lawn did get a bit smaller thanks to the palms, but I dont think Im going to dig up more than I already did (mostly because the soil under my lawn is by far the worst soil I have ever had to dig). Right now I have a Silver Serenoa on my lawn as well as a crape myrtle.
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Really alex I didnt know.I planted cactus and annuals in the strip of lawn.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Your yard looks great. Love it.

Around here, they will give you a medal if you plant on the median strip. The county had to chop down a lot of the old oaks due to disease. That took away much of the shade canopy.

Bunch of us just planted our own trees to begin restoration. Even got a subsidy for planting a Maryland native.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Jim, in April I cut down a pine tree and a tulip tree I had growing in the back yard. A freind came by with a chain saw and I thought - well I am loosing too much sun. And cut them down. Just like you, sun is a big issue in colder zones trying to stretch warmth. It was hard work and I had to talk to neighbors to go into their yards to handle the whole project. THe tornado we had last year took a chunk out of the maple canopy nearby and we were all glad:)

Randy, here in NYC they over-regulate and its almost expected. They add regulations so they can charge fees. I am amazed people still flock here to New York. Its too crowded. I know some Florida communities are over regulated and do not permit fruit tree planting - yikes that's going too far for me. I hope to move there when I am older and will make sure I may grow citruis and mangos:)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Don't get me wrong....I love trees very much but....

there is something about those chainsaws that makes you
    want(to use a golf expression)to-play through!

I would level several trees to the east and west of my yard.

Oh well,my plants seem to do fine and in winter there is full sun....so there you go!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I have a twin trunk popular that's fixing to find it's way down. My 3 maples are over 50ft and would have to be done professionally. But I really can't stand my maples. They cause me an hour every day weeding my yard.

• jaynboro
    12 years ago

Dang! That doesn't look like a mess to me, that looks like a palm lovers heaven! I would love to look out my door everyday and see that. Nice!
    Nice! Nice!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA