Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james760

Trade?

james760
12 years ago

i no this is not a selling forum but am interested in selling palms on ebay but i dont know how to go about shipping! i personally would rather ship palms in their pots as to bare-root, i figured less damage to the palm but i no once you put it in a box and ship them their not always handled with care. i have a few ideas of packaging them but am open to any suggestions! basically what am saying is i need practice and peeps i can trust to say it arrived in good or bad condition also snapping i pic to post to me on the forum! i would eventually what to open up a nursery locally but also do the online deal as i fill palms are way over priced on ebay, i mean of course its about money but come on $42.00 plus shipping for a 5g. pindo! unbelievable, anyways ill be willing to trade one of any 1g. washingtonia robusta, filferas- 1 canary- sabal domingensis- 1 dactylifera or 1 small brahea armata for 100 sabal seeds excluding minor or tropical sabals or 100 pindo or 100 of whatever just as long as i dont need them or i have them. or seedling for seedling is kool to but if anyone out there has birmingham or mexicana seeds i can do a special trade as a have alot more palms that would be more presentable! if anyone is interested just ask for an email, once again i no this is not a selling forum so am only asking to trade so if anyone is interested in other palms or bigger ooh lets say 5g.s in pindo, mediterranean or trachys all be willing to "TRADE" just let me no.

Comments (6)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Shipping in pots with soil can really raise shipping prices.
    Best to find out which palms don't mind root disturbance/and
    which ones do-most seller won't/shouldn't ship Bizzys(for example)bare root.
    Certain other high dollar plants like T.Princeps should be shipped in the pot.

Good sellers usually remove most of the soil and wrap in sphagnum moss to save on cost/shipping weight
    but it's also nice if they offer you the option.
    Maybe you know this but securing the plant to the packaging
    is very important to keep it safe,you'll figure it out.
    I just look at what worked and what didn't with orders I received.

One good tip for people recieving bare root plants from e-bay
    is to make sure the roots are in a warm environment for recovery
    and also to use something like superthrive for speedy recovery.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Also when shipping to certain states such as N.C. you will need a phyto certificate to ship in pots legally. This is going to be an extra expense.

• james760
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks jim, i thought about taping the palms to the box and putting a plastic bag over the pot and tying it to the bottom of the palm to keep in moisture & soil. most of the palms i was gona trade have fully grown into their pots, i can easily slid them in and out of their pots. it seems like alot of work to have a full blown online nursery! will see what happends, thanks again jim. maybe i should ask my governor what he would do lol!

chadec, i thought you only needed phyto certificates if you bought from a different country! wow, theres alot i need to learn. so bare-rooted palms to NC is fine just not in pots? am gona have to do some homework, thanks for the advise guys i appreciate it!

• dcleaves
    12 years ago

I have some extra Triangle Palm seedlings that I could trade for a Washingtonia Filifera if you are interested. They germinated about 4 months ago, with their first leaf pair out, and some are starting to push their second pair. I've had good experiences sending seedlings bare rooted with some damp sphagnum moss around the roots.

Dave

• james760
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks dave i appreciate your offer but triangle palms are to tropical for my area but i might have to take you up on that trade if i dont get any other offers. how many would you be willing to trade? give me another week and ill be in touch.
    thank you dave!

• dcleaves
    12 years ago

James760,

I have 5 Triangle Palm seedlings available that I could trade. They were more sensitive than I first expected when they were moved outside, and the first day of sun exposure left some of the leaves a little burned, but all 5 are doing well now. A photo can be found at the link below. You can contact me directly at dcleaves at yahoo.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triangle Palm Seedlings

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County