Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj_orlando_z9b

Design Ideas needed

pj_orlando_z9b
12 years ago

I am having a new retaining wall put in and will need to add some plants. Lots of room to play for sure but I would appreciate ideas from the plant experts out there. The wall will be cement blocks and only about 12" tall. Here is some info...I'm in z7a, the area gets lots of afternoon sun but because of elevation and siting, it also gets harsh winter winds.

The crepe will be elevated and the highlight tree. I'm thinking ornamental grasses in some spots and perennials but not sure which types are best. I've even considered some potted plants mixed in if it adds to the tropical look. I'm not afraid to put in hardier palms. There are needles and minors already in the bed as you can see in some of the pics. BTW, the minor "hatteras" is proving to be one of the hardiest for me. It takes wind much better than any of my other minors. It is hidden here between the crepe shrubs.

Everything behind the white paint will be inside the retaining wall. Thanks!

{{gwi:1133830}}

Thought I would share my biggest trachy which is looking really good in it's 3 year in the ground. The smaller one is in it's 5th year and was only 2 strap leaves when planted.

Comments (3)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I would definitely consider planting some roses. Knockout roses look so good for so much of the year (I see them in bloom in November and even early December in Mild years here in NYC!). Some hardy hibiscus could be another perrenial option. I would use the bed for a lot of tropicals that have to be dug up. Tender tropicals like tropical hibiscus, croton, annuals as groundcovers, tropical yuccas, etc. can be planted in the ground with their pots. Bannas, elephant ears, castor bean plants, cannas, and brugmansias can be dug up for the winter. Pindos, more windmill palms, some other yuccas (rostrata, faxoniana, and alofolia are some of the more exotic looking ones that do very well in my area) would look really nice too!
    Quick growing tropicals are probably going to be one of the most important things you will want to look for, but of couse dont forget to add some hardy evergreens like Southern magonlias so that way when winter comes, you dont have a completely bare front yard!
    Good lucK!
    -Alex

• pj_orlando_z9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The work begins on Tuesday but I've purchased some plants this weekend. When finished, the plants will be at the same height and the crepe myrtle slightly elevated. I also have the landscape lighting being adjusting including the installation of a well light that will highlight the phoenix palm in the summer and fall. Shown here are the new plants:

1. Blue Oats ornamental grass. I love the blue color and not sure any other ornamental grass looks as good.
    2. Hosta 'Guacamole'. I'm taking a risk here cause I get about 5-6 hours of afternoon sun. This variety is some of the best for sunny locations. Hostas add a nice tropical look.
    3. Red lily. I needed some color for the bed and this did the trick.

{{gwi:1133832}}

My concern is that I don't have any tall plants in the back to break up the flow. I was thinking of a skyrocket juniper to keep the blue color going or maybe a banana type plant. I figure I need to be careful to not put all perennials in there so it doesn't look like wasteland in the winter!

The crepe is a 'dynamite' so it should mix well with the red lily and the red hardy hibiscus (not shown). Off to the left are a needle palm and a yucca recurv. Any other plants you think would mix in well?

{{gwi:1133833}}

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

That's going to be nice....
    and in no time at all you won't need a lawn mower anymore(-:

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES