Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxtail palm issue

Posted by jaxboro 9b (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 8:28

Question about my triple Foxtail.

It was planted at the beginning of last Dec., when it was still in the 80s. I protected it from the cold and all three trunk made it, of course with hefty leaf damage. Well, 2 of the 3 have already pushed out a frond and a 2nd is on the way. The 3rd trunk though has done nothing, but it is still green, hasn't snapped, or wants to budge no matter how hard I tug.

The tree was field grown, so I'm guessing it is finally letting it's roots take off and is limiting new frond growth.

Anybody else know what it may be doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxtail palm issue

Is the trunk soft ? sometimes they grow again but sometimes not.

o

As long as it still has some green in the fronds (even if its restricted to just the growing bud), it should make it, but its going to need great care for the next year or 2 before it will look very healthy again.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

No, the trunk isn't soft.

Really? Ugh, that sucks, hopefully it kicks up later this summer, just like the other two already have.

The spear has no signs of pushing though, and that's what is concerning me.

o

It might still be stressed. Hopefully when summer really kicks in, iy will start to grow. Palms are surprising plants and as long as they have some sign of life,they can really come back after seeming dead. At least some of the Foxtails will make it, and hopefully it will be a while before a winter like the last hits Florida.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here