Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickp5000

New Christmas Palm

rickp5000
10 years ago

Hi. Yesterday I picked up a new Christmas Palm. It is about 10-12' tall (including pot to the very top of the frowns). There are 4 palms in a clump. I am in Maryland and it cost $150, at first I thought this was expensive but when I started looking around it seemed like a deal. I found the same exact size at Home Depot for $299.

It looks pretty good but some of the leaves are brown on the tips and there are a few brown spots. It came from Florida and may have come up here a bit early and there were some temps in the 30's a few weeks ago.

I need to put it in a new pot which starts my questions. Is there a certain type of soil I should purchase. And should I fertilize it or wait until after its been in its new pot for a while before fertilizing?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Most nurseries now carry a palm soil... I would use that. I would NOT fertilize this palm for at least 6 months, and personally I rarely ever fertilize indoor palms (maybe every 2-4 years)... unless you have super, incredibly well draining soil and a palm that gets watered many times a week and sits in the sun most of the summer.

• rickp5000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I did not know that they sold Palm soil. I did find the Miracle-Gro 0062581-298 Cactus, Palm, & Citrus Soil in stock at Home Depot. I will get some of that to use.

It is going to be outside for the summer. I have it in a spot where it will get sun but not all day. It should start getting full sun around 11am and by 2pm or so it should be more filtered sun. Hopefully that is a good location. I had a Phoenix Robellini in the same area all last summer and is back in the same spot until fall. It has been doing well.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

if you use that miracle grow palm soil I would ammend it heavily with perlite. I use a equal mix of MG potting mix/pool filter sand/ perlite, helps it drain much better. that MG palm has to much peat in it for me and seems to hold alot of water for to long.

• rickp5000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What about the moisture control potting soil that has come out in recent years? Would that be a good/bad choice? I added a little to the top of my phoenix robellini recently because the soil was getting low.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    generally I use Palm /citrus, ammended with a third leca
    or finely crushed lava rock. for those in pots But my conditions are MUCH different as they are grown outdoors
    all year only moved during cold spells . I used this mixture
    on my largest pot ever 3x3 feeet lol . Contains a bottle palm
    has responed well though a definite setback when first transplanted Most palms IME do require very through draining so would be careful of Moisture retentive " mixes
    You can always add more water but is sure difficult to remove?? Good luck gary

• rickp5000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture. It was pretty dry when I got it so I gave it a good watering of about 3 gallons of warmish water from the sink - thinking the water from the hose might still be too chilly. Yesterday was humid and around 80 degrees, not real sunny and it was pretty dry again last night. So I did another 3 gallons of warmish water. The water seems to be draining pretty well out of the bottom. But I am not sure if I am watering too much, not enough, just right. You can see the tips are brown. Could that be because of the cold temps, close to 30, that we had a few weeks ago. Or has it been watered too much, not enough? The place where I got it from has a bunch of palm trees and this one was pretty buried in the bunch so it could be possible it wasn't getting as much water. Also they came from Florida probably a few months ago and have been subject to the cooler weather here until just recently when it warmed up.

• chachacharlie
    10 years ago

WOW! You got a fantastic deal! It looks wonderful and definitely makes your garden look tropical. I love it! Make sure you give it plenty if sun and heat. In my home country of Panama, and my 2nd home, Hawaii, I see them growing beautifully in full sun. Good luck and keep us posted.

www.betweencancerandcapricorn.com

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great looking palm! I think you got a nice deal. I got my triple trunk one for $129 which I thought was a good price so a 4 trunked one at only $150 is definitely a bargin around our region.
    I gave mine miracle gro soil and haven't had any draining problems. They love water so I give mine water almost daily this time of the year and once it actually gets warm out it will be getting daily waterings. Mine has turned a little brown in full sun from 9am to 3pm, but nothing too noticable to the average person and it will look better once a few new fronds push out over the next couple of weeks (this is after a winter indoors). I think yours will have no problem in the spot you gave it. It might have some brown tips from adjusting to it's new spot but it looks really happy.
    Good luck with it!
    -Alex

• rickp5000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The place I got it from mostly had 2 and 3 trunked ones. I found this one without a price and since it was the same size container he sold it for $150. It was the only one with 4 trunks that I saw. He also had some larger ones for $250 and some $450 windmills. But that was too much of a gamble for me.

I heard it might dip down close to 40 degrees over the next few nights. I am wondering if I should take it into the garage over night?? Its a bit of a pain but it wouldn't get lower than 60 at the coldest.

• orchiddude
    10 years ago

Dont want to bust any bubbles, but 3 years ago at Home Depot, I walked in and foundd one about the same size on clearance for $18, I bought it on the spot. These plants should not be left to dry out and you should feed regular. Plants that grow in pots are watered more and the nutrients are washed out faster. You will see better long term results if you feed no less than 6 times a year. You can feed often, just use a weak solution. The leaves will spot up if you get any frost. Great plant and self cleaning.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz