Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Christmas palm roots

Posted by deryck (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 10:15

Can I cut Christmas palms roots that are approx three feet away from the tree. I need to install a root barrier becuase the roots have effected a headge nearby. The trees are mature and about 14 feet tall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Christmas palm roots

Cutting palm roots will damage most palm trees. If you dont do siginificant damage then you might get away with it, but if you are cutting large portions of roots, then you will see growth of the palm tree snow and it will weaken (which could make it prone to rot, fungus, and disease. I would avoid damaging the roots as much as yoy possibly can, but if you do, make sure it does not see any stress (drought, cold, extreme heat (especially if it includes drought, ect...) for at least a year.
Good luck!
-Alex

o
RE: Cutting Christmas palm roots

Thanks Alex. Do you know what type of root system Christmas Palms have? Does the roots tend to grow down deep into the soil or most stay along the surface horizontaly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here