Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj_orlando_z9b

new plants, April averages and a deck ready for summer

pj_orlando_z9b
11 years ago

New plants arrived from Plant Delights. These people know plants. Always arrive healthy and grow so well in my environment.

Ensete maurelli right out of the box

Philodendron 'Hope' with the new tiki torch

Ensete and Manihot grahamii (hardy tapioca) in the middle of the trachy and hardy hibiscus

Moved the needle to have much more space to grow. The arborvitae will help block winter winds. I just hope we got enough of the root ball.

Hosta appears to show the extent of the recent frost damage. Can't complain about that.

Potted livistona chinensis was kept outside until January. Pushing out the winter damage now. Another tiki friend has joined my deck.

The tiki bar is open for business!

My backyard Davis station results from April:

Hi: 88.4F

Lo: 36.1F (10 nights below 40F)

avg temp: 54.7F

precip: 2.09" (8.60" for year)

Not sure how this stacks up to averages but it felt cool. Lots of backdoor fronts and one nor'easter. A local D.C. station discussed a chance for Apr to be cooler than Mar. If that happened, they said it would be like the 3rd time since records were kept where Apr was cooler than Mar.

Forecast going forward looks bright though...

Thanks for looking.

Comments (12)

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Nice gets. I have had my eye on a couple of those as well. Curious how the Philodendron does around here.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Nice pics! I really like the size of the Ensete. I have never ordered from PDN before but if thats the quality of all the plants, I will definitely consider getting some of the rarer plants that they offer!
    Great looking trachy! The leaflets almost go 360 degrees around the petiole which is rarer to find and IMO might actually be a variety of the regular fortunei.
    The tiki tourches look great and so does that forecast! Your going to be seeing a lot more heat than I am since you are on the warm side of the frontal boundary and I'm in between.
    Today was nice here though. We had a lot of rain this morning (3.7 inch rain rate an hour at its worst and ended up with nearly an inch of rain today!) and now its a muggy 70F outside and should warm up to the mid 70s. The sun is just coming out now after a cloudy start to the day.

Your yard look great so far! Its off to a nice start!
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

Great looking plants. I ended up ordering my Ensete from Florida Hills nursery. Mostly due to price. Can't wait to see what kind of growth we get out of them this year!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Nice haul!
    Awesome Ensete-I need to get another as mine is 3-4 years old(-;
    but still going strong-that sucker will blast off as soon as temps hit the upper70s/80s and may be 6-8' tall in fall.

Keep an eye out at Wal-Mart etc.

I found Philodendron "hope"for $11

Click for weather forecast

• mastiffhoo
    11 years ago

similar forecast here in Lynchburg...

• pj_orlando_z9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody.

Alex - not sure of the variety. Austin from Little Rock (on the other board) sent me a tiny seedling back in 2007. I believe it is from his collection and I'm trying to get a hold of him to find out the origin of it. Now that it is getting older, the growth rate is really picking up too. I never noticed the near full circle until you mentioned it. I always noticed how shiny the fronds are...almost shiny like livistona.

Jim - was that actually labeled as 'Hope' when you bought it. That is a crazy find at a Wal Mart. Nice size plant too.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

It did not have a tag but I saw one at a place down
    the street...same pot same plant same nursery and it did say.

"Philodendron Hope"

Pretty crazy,I saw some a third of that size for $23 on line :0

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Got this for under $10 (-:

$6 for the Amazonica at Wally world-the single leaved
    one behind it was also $6 on line + shipping!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great deal on the variegated alphina ginger Jim! I saw one here about 2 months ago (for the first time ever) and it was 25 dollars for a nice 3 gallon clump. I kind of regret not buying it, but it was a little expensive! 10 dollars is a great deal though and they grow pretty fast so it will be a nice clump by the fall!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Great pics your deck looks really tropical

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Beaut photos. But I really like that Ensete maurelli. Unfortunately can't get those around here. That looks like a Spathiphyllum near your Amazonica.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Where do you live tropicbreezent.

Have you checked e-bay.

Here is a link that might be useful: just one of a few offered

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County