Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Canary island date palm survive in Dallas' winter?

Posted by vobgro Zone 8a (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 10:39

I've heard that CIDP is some what cold hardy, but last winter Dallas has some freezes and some moderate snow fall (to the point where you can build a snow man), I'm not sure if it would survive here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Canary island date palm survive in Dallas' winter?

Im guessing that if they could survive there, then you would see them growing there. Protection would be required in order for it to have any chance of living.

o

Not sure if a cidp would make it, but some other date palms might. Still its a very marginal family of palms to a zone 8 and the most cold tolerant of them is probably best suited for a zone 8b and up. But with protection I dont see why you cant try one!

Good luck!
-Alex

o

I consider CIDP to be 2nd only to coconuts in terms of beauty. If you succeed in keeping it alive in 8A, I wanna know about it.

Problem is that they are not truly beautiful until they are quite large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here