Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bismark palm problem

Posted by compostworm5 9 (tarfoot05@yahoo.com) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 11:01

My problem has to do with the new shoots emerging. The palm has been in the ground for 3 years now in the same spot and left alone to do it's thing. I rarely check on it until recently I noticed the new shoots are dying. There is one that tried to open, but was only able to open looking like a burnt and stunted shoot. While it moved to the side, the new shoot coming out is still a closed shoot but already showing signs of problem. The tip of it looks burnt and almost appears to be rotting or decaying. I do have a drip system which I removed for the time being thinking excessive water might be the culprit. I live in Central Florida were dry season is still on. I know its the season for little or no rain, but its been 90s consistently and we are super dry. What seems to be the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bismark palm problem

Sounds like cold damage and or wet and cold/cool weather that caused a fungus to grow in the bud. I would mix up some copper and pour into to bud or you can try peroxide in the bud. Cold damage can show up several months after it occurs.Pull slightly on the center spear a see if it comes out.I had one do this and it recovered very quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here