Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen Palm repotting, soil and depth?

Posted by debrichard z5 Mich (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 11:01

HI, i think my post yesterday didn't work. I have sand, cheap potting soil and perlite, what would the ratio be for repotting my queen palms? They'll be going outside soon for the summer. Also, there are roots on top of the soil "reaching" up to the trunk,do I plant at the same depth they are now or cover up those roots?
thanks!
And, should I fertilize right after repotting, lightly or just wait altogether?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen Palm repotting, soil and depth?

Sand can get a little heavy so I think that the perlite and soil are your best bet. I dont know what ratio you should put it in, but a majority of it should be soil because these palms dont really like to be very dry, but also want soil that drains pretty quickly.
Maybe you can cover the exposed roots with mulch which would lower your needs for watering it and also cover up the exposed roots from the hot sun. I would take it out as soon as the treat for frost has passed and given shade at first and then slowly accumulated to the sun. I would fertilize as soon as it goes outside because sometimes the leaves get damagedd by the sun so it will need to grow quickly to replace the leaves.

Good luck!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here