Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

A few new pics from 5-2-12

jimhardy
11 years ago

Cordyline Australis that comes back every year from the roots-this year the centers stayed alive.

I thought I would be in good shape if the Washys looked like this June 1 (-:

All the recent rain has pushed the Agaves into action.

Sequoia is growing nicely.

Trying to keep the cactus flowers in business.

Castors looking good-I hate hearing there is hail in the forecast though...and not just today but through the weekend-but we need the rain!

My little Ensete Glaucum that I cut to a 2" stub is growing-1 of 2 planted along with the E.ventricosum and Abyssinian.

Click for weather forecast

Comments (14)

• james760
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

very nice! is that an encephalartos in the 1st pic? which can if so? the sequoia seems to be doubling every year, its on its way the be the next general;)
    wow those washys are taking off! whats are u going to do in the next few years to protect them? they should be @ your roof in no time, great pics! thanks

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Looks great Jim! Everything is really growing well! The washy looks especially nice! And Im sure the cacti are liking the cover from the rain.
    I hope you dont get any hail from any thunderstorms. Luckily damaging hail is rare here, but the downpours we have gotten the past few days have done a lot of damage to all the blooming plants. I used to like spring, but after 2 days of clouds and 50s, Im ready for summer or at least some sunny, average weather!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Nice pics jim! All your plants look great. I like those princeps in the first photo.

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys-

E.Princeps in the first pic-now that you mention it,
    another one I need to put on the porch-along side the Bizzy.

Just noticed another cactus is blooming-didn't even see the buds!

I will try and get a shot.....

You won't believe how much the Agave grew in one day...more pics coming.

They really move out when you have lows near 70F and highs in the 80s-hope we don't pay to big a price as very heavy
    (drought busting)rains are coming.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

The trachy is getting huge and I like the variegated reed grass. Wish I had the space for that one. I saw reed grass in someone's yard once that was 20 feet tall! They can really be giants! I think they also had some variegated ones too.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex-here are some more pics from 5-3-12

Lots of rain and warmth lately,probably almost as much rain this past week + as in the last year or so....

Castor beans

Even the seedling leaves are huge on these VERY large leaved Castors-one a few years back had a 42" leaf...

Tetrapanex

Tomentum on Fortunei

Waking the sleeping(Thai) giant-

winding down........

D.A. has grown about 4-5 leaves,maybe the only one that survived but.....

Here is one of the Cooperi,still green but no visible growth...
    I have a feeling it is getting close to breaking out with over 3" of rain the last week and temps
    65/83F

Black Bamboo is really taking off....

I ate the first strawberry April 30-it was like
    liquid sugar sunshine!

Look how much the new leaf split off in one day-
    5-2-12

Another cactus was blooming when I returned home in the evening-never even saw it had buds!

The Cordyline Australis that returns every year from the roots stayed alive up top this time...

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are even more pics from 5-4-12

Some new flowers opened today(5-4)

I really love these flowers!

Thats why I put the rain cover back up-we had
    over an inch of rain the other night and these flowers
    will rot in a day if they stay wet-otherwise you get several(at least) days of beauty!

Enough of those ugly cactus pics....

Waggie recovery

Still a good month ahead of last year-

If only this one was 6' plus(-:

T.nanus is slow but making a come back from fall spear-pull...welcome back!

M.maculosa getting ready to flower.

Last one-Protoamericana from someone on this board 2 years ago?????

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! Looks like another beautiful day by you and the plants are really liking the mild weather! Those irises have a lot of nice color to them and I always like to see a cactus in bloom!
    The palms look great also. The waggie is making a nice comeback! Really happy to hear that the T. nanus survived the winter and is making a recovery from its fall spear pull! Everything looks like its getting a great start to summer!

Today was supposed to be average (about 70F) and sunny, but instead its completely overcast and so far struggling to make 60F. Its also the 5th day in a row that some rain has fallen! Im getting so tired of this weather and I dont trust the forecast since every day is always cloudier and colder than forecasted lately (and the forecast isnt that warm to begin with!). What this cold weather does make me notice though is that while some plants like bananas hate the cold, other tropicals like Mandevillas, dracaeneas, majesty palms, and all my shade loving tropicals, actually dont mind the cooler weather! And at least the night temperatures have been pretty good!

Thanks for sharing
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea Alex

My Bananas have basically been at a stand still all April.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

And I didnt notice the pic of the Manfreda maculosa getting ready to flower. Those are awesome plants especially in bloom! They are kind of like mini agaves. How long have you had it for?

-Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

4 years-the flowers are bea-u-tiful!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful flowers. Im sure the hummers must like them! I can definitely wait 4 years for a bloom!
    -Alex

• rwallen1961
    11 years ago

Jim...where in Iowa are you? I'm in Iowa City. Would love to stop by sometime and have a look in person and pick-up some tips!

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey-I am in Fairfield,about an hour or so, south of you.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County