Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Amorphophallus Konjac

If anybody has pics/experience with this one I would love to see/hear them(-:
I bought 4 bulbs and they threw another 2 in.

Amorphophallus Konjac
Photobucket
Photobucket

Should be really cool if/when it blooms!

Photobucket

Another cactus blooming-always a treat!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Xanthosoma Albomarginata (Micky Mouse) Aroid

Photobucket

Americana has busted 4 leaves of the spear.

Photobucket

M.Maculosa sending up 6 stalks

Photobucket

3 new Pachys...Densiflorum,Horombense and Baronii

Photobucket

A.Donax,prettier than ever!

Photobucket

Some of you guys may not agree but I trimmed the bottom
leaves off 2 of the Trachys to expose their trunks...they look a lot taller now!

Fortunei before
Photobucket

after
Photobucket

Nainital before
Photobucket

after

Photobucket

They will look better in another month(-:

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some pics-new plants and a few creatures

Im excited to see an update on the Amorphophallus konjac!
do you know if it smells as bad as its cousin the corpse flower?

o

• Posted by butiaman 8a Douglasville,GA. (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 12 at 2:11

Hey Jim,
I see you got some Voodoo Lilies.I don't know if you remember me asking you one time if you had ever thought about growing some.They definitely will get some looks from people going by your place.I think there a unusual looking flower,of course I like unusual looking plants.A lady down the street from me had one in her yard about 3yrs ago.I don't know if it was the same kind as yours.Her flower was dark red and about 5ft tall by 3ft wide.I thought it was beautiful but it smelled like rotten meat.She explained it smelled like that to draw flies for pollination.That's about all I really know except what she said,that it took a lot of water and fertilizer.I think you'll do fine with them.

I agree that the palms look better with the fronds trimmed up.I do the same thing.A lot of people criticize me for doing that to my palms.I don't think it really hurts them,as long as you don't go crazy cutting fronds off.

I haven't been on here in awhile because im growing a lot of various Trachycarpus and Sabal seedlings and cleaning up a lot of brush and old trees out of my backyard.It seems to be a never ending job,LOL.I WILL HAVE MY BACKYARD PARADISE EVEN IF IT KILLS ME :)

Good Luck with your plants.
Randy

o

Trimming off green fronds doesn't hurt them, but they sure can benefit more with those leaves on. Especially for those of us raising palms in marginal areas and beyond. It is really hard for me to keep lower ratty looking fronds on, but I just keep telling myself that they are feeding the tree to make it better in the long run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here