Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Queen palm make it???

Posted by islandbreeze 6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 12:12

I have a queen palm that I kept indoors the whole winter, including pot, it measured at least 9 feet tall with about 3-4 feet of trunk. All the fronds dried up I believe because of hot dry air while furnace was running. I have it outside, and we've had a couple 80 degree days and several 70 degree days so far. The spear is partially green, but hasn't moved at all yet. I know it was not overwatered or exposed to cold. My smaller queen is already growing. Is it a goner or does it just need more heat? We've had plenty of rain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Queen palm make it???

As long as the spear is green, it should make it.--Give it some more time. I love queens but they are not the best for wintering indoors. I have three big ones that I overwinter in a big, bright garage that is cold but frost-free in the January and February.

o
RE: Will my Queen palm make it???

If you tug firmly on the spear and it stays put, it's still alive. If the palm is dead, the spear will pull right out with a sickening feeling of dead material.

Sounds like it'll make it - but it's going to be in the ICU for a while. Lots of water (when warm, and drained well), heat, and light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here