Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwallen1961

Coconut Palm Update

rwallen1961
11 years ago

Just got all of the other plants out of the basement so I could actually see and photograph my little pride and joy. Here's a couple of pics as an update.

I just moved it outside, under my deck so it can start getting use to the sun. I'll increase the exposure over the next couple of weeks, then give it a full blast of sunshine for the rest of the summer.

Grow heathy and happy!

Comments (13)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update! It still looks beautiful! And I love the nice trunk that it's getting. Perfect example of a beautiful coconut palm growing in a container!
    Thanks again for sharing!
    -Alex

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

yay update! i wonder if that trunk will maintain that thickness? if so it is a amazing "bonsai" specimen!

• jacklord
    11 years ago

All this talk about coconut palms is grabbing my attention. I may have to give one a try.

• andyandy
    11 years ago

looks great, i had mine out for about a week in march when we had that freek warm up and out the last 6 days, may move in for a couple of nights (saying low 40s for a couple of nights) but back outby friday, looks like finally consistant 70s by the end of the week.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Very nice coco! Beautiful fronds! :) What your secret? lol

Did you have to remove the coconut shell, or did it rot away on its own?

- US_Marine

• rwallen1961
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trust me, no secret at all. Gently let it acclimate to the sunshine in the spring (or the fronds will burn badly) and then give that baby full sun and as much water as you can (I absolutely gush mine every couple of days as it has good drainage). The coconut itself just rotted off after a few years and then I tossed it. Don't be afraid to try one...it's a blast.

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

It looks like a very healthy Green Malayan Dwarf. Where did you get it from and how old is it?

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Ron-
    In the event you still check the forum from time to time can you tell me how long ago you moved it into that pot. I am debating whether to re-pot mine into a larger one.

thanx,
    Andy

• daan123
    11 years ago

i have here a triple trunk coconut and a 12 yr old coconut bonsai..i am proud and very happy to own such a rare one..i also have 6yr old and a 5 yr old coconut bonsai...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=daan123

• daan123
    11 years ago

and heres my 12 yr old cocnut bonsai

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=daan123

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That's interesting, haven't seen a multiple sprout from a coconut. I guess in the long run it would just become 3 normal plants growing very close.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Triple trunk! Who knew?!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Pure awesomeness!