Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahur

Why did my Sago grow leaves like this...?

dahur
10 years ago

I bought this one about 4 years ago, and don't know anything about Sago's. After 2 1/2 years or so, it still hadn't put out any new fronds. So I was surprised one day when I noticed new growth finally. Well, they kept on growing and didn't much look like the existing fronds. Now that the new ones have all grown out, I don't really care for the look. I would have preferred they look like the older ones.
Anyone know what happened here...? Should I cut them off, or leave them, and will any new ones be like these ones..?
These new fronds are about 1 year old.

[URL=http://s796.photobucket.com/user/dahur1/media/IMG_8038_zps02320689.jpg.html][IMG]http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy249/dahur1/IMG_8038_zps02320689.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments (7)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

looks like you cycad went from natural light to poor, indoor lighting, and so the leaves are bizarre, unhealthy and overly stretched (etiolated). These plants need a lot more sun to stay happy

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

As well intentioned as stores may be, they continue to mislabel Cycas revoluta, aka Sago Palm, as a houseplant. It needs outdoor sun, or similar, to grow correctly. A regular window is not enough light no matter how bright it may seem. Being indoors also leaves the plant prone to mealy bugs.

New leaves will also be elongated until you can place the plant somewhere with real sun. What you can try is to keep it indoors, and then as soon as you see new leaves forming, put it outside and leave it there until the new leaves harden completely (3-6 weeks). Then you can bring it back inside.

A healthy Sago will grow new leaves at least once a year. In poor conditions (low light, drought) leaves will form less often because the plant will wait until it has built up enough starch from photosynthesis to invest into new leaves. If you cut off all the leaves, you might be able to trick the plant into sending out new leaves but you have to supplement with a high Nitrogen fertilizer to pull it off successfully.

x

• dahur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I just cut off all the long leaves, put in some Miracle Grow, and put it outside.

• theseventhlegend
    10 years ago

You may also not want to put it in full sun just yet. Gradually accltimate it, Sagos can burn.

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

dahur - Regular Miracle Gro is better than nothing, but Miracle Gro for lawns is even better because it has extra N. Feed it every 2-3 weeks until new leaves grow, then reduce fertilizer.

And yes the older leaves can and will sunburn, just like you or me, when we go out in sun for the first time. Place it in a spot that only gets morning sun, or dappled shade, for a few weeks. It takes time to acclimate. Once new leaves grow, you can cut off all the old, damaged leaves.

• slice4444
    10 years ago

I have the same problem up here in central NY. I obviously take it inside in the winter and put it under lights and that's always when it decides to grow new fronds.... It is stretching towards the light source. If I get lucky, I can sometimes get new fronds to grow during the summer when it's outside. When it finally does, I cut the long ones off.

• dahur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cut off the bizarre fronds, put it outside, and the fronds did suffer some burning. About two weeks ago it started putting out new fronds, and they're bright and green, and look like the existing ones.