Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

Cat Palm vs. Areca how can you tell the difference ?

cocoabeachlorax
13 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what I have. I'm suspecting it is a Cat Palm based on the lack of an evolving trunk of any kind and just more fronds growing. I've been looking at them side by side in the nurseries and when they're young, I cannot tell the difference. Can anyone here tell me a simple way to tell if a palm is an Areca or a Cat ? I "rescued" one last spring and it survived the cold this winter in its pot. I've planted it and am just curious about what to expect as it grows. Plus, I find their similarities confounding and just want to know "who is who", thank you so much.

Comments (22)

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

adding a picture

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

It looks like a cat palm to me. I have one that looks just like yours. I thought mine was an areca but the second I saw a branch of seeds coming from the base, I knew it had to be a cat palm. Im pretty sure Arecas need a good amount of trunk before they fruit whereas cat palms dont have a trunk and are mature at about the size of yours. Ill post a pic of mine a little later if it helps!

Good luck!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Areca palm leves are finer and longer. The areca palm also takes longer to develop suckers

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Alex and statenislandpalm ! Now I'll look for the finer longer leaves when comparing. Alex I'd love to see pictures if it is convenient for you. Any advice on what your palm has responded well too. I've got it in an area where it will get late afternoon shade, next to the house, north side facing. It will not bake in direct sun all day. It seems to be thriving now that it is in the ground. Thanks again.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Here it is! They dont seem to like sun and this one gets morning sun which is enough to burn some of the leaves on very warm and dry days, but it does like the location its in.

Heres the "fruit" on it. Im going to attempt to germinate it but Im not expecting it to work (but its worth a try).

And here is what I think is more flowers comming up since it isnt forming the same way that offsets form. Im going to have to keep an eye on it.

Where do you live. I guess Cocobeach, Fl, which is a great climate for cat palms and many others. Its definitely going to need as much shade as you can give it though during the heat of the day.

I also have livingstonias which grow very well, a coconut palm which grows surprisingly well also, a pygmy palm, a queen palm, and more cold tolerant palms which are in the ground. Those are my best growers as well as my magestly palm. My parlor palms need pretty much all day shade to make it though a day alive, but they love it indoors.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I give you so much credit for keeping it looking so healthy and happy in that pot and in your zone too! I am not very good at keeping palms in containers. I'm glad to know about burning in the sun. This one is probably getting more sun than it would like, but where it is planted it will get more and more shade as the years pass and the rest of my garden grows in. Thanks again !

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Thanks! Actually its about time this gets repotted, probably one of the next plants to be potted up.
    Yours will probably do okay as long as its getting some shade but if it becomes a really big problem I guess you could try to put a shade cloth on it so it doesnt burn and when the trees grow and give it more shade it will be able to go without the shade cloth, but its a pretty tolerant plant and should be much of a problem.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• micar_nyc_rr_com
    13 years ago

I would like to plant cat palm to act as a privacy screen. Will the base remain full as it grows? How much spread can I expect? How tall will it grow. It will get some morning sun then shade since the west side has a 10 foot fence & ficus hedge. The area is about 24 feet. Thanks, Mike

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Cat palms do not get very tall and you can think of them as a bush pretty much. They dont grow a trunk and they send pups as well I believe so the bottom will never get thin looking. Also they love water when its warm outside so make sure to give them enough. Good draining soil, but a lot of water is definitely ideal for a cat palm. Sounds like it should be happy in the area you describe, but you might have to plant maybe 2 or 3 cat palms and then something else to fill a 24 foot area because each one is only going to cover an area of at most 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

what climate are you in? Are you very short? It only grows to maybe 3' tall unless it's in very deep shade and very old... then it can get up to 6' in spots... but you will be waiting forever for that to happen, unless you live in an ideal climate (like Miami). Still, only makes a good srceen for ankles and knees normally in most climates in its range.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

They are pretty short, but if you live in a relatively frost free climate, it can definitely get 5 feet tall (in shade). Ive seen pics of them in Florida and they were at least 4 feet tall in those pics. My plants are already mature and they are only 3 feet tall (not counting the pot its in), so they do mature at a small height. But I didnt see the part where you said you wanted a privacy screen. If thats the case, then a cat palm probably isnt for you. Lots of other palms will fit the bill though if you live in a nice mild climate. What type of climate do you live in?
    -Alex

• ThePlantscaper
    13 years ago

Cat palm from Arecas is very easy if you have worked with them enough.
    Cat Palms have dark green leaves like a Kentia Palm.
    The stalks look like they are one continuous segment.
    The leaves are wider, thicker, and turn black on the tips.

In contrast
    The Areca have light green fronds and sometimes look yellow.
    The leaves are not as wide, thinner, and turn brown on the tips.
    The trunks grow into segments and look a lot like bamboo stalks.

I find the Areca palm to be a far more hardy palm. Cat palms are about 1/7th the price. They are far more hardy than majesty palms though.

• tcharvey81
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sorry for the not so close up foto but is this considered an Areca palm tree? It does have about 10-15 bamboo-ish looking stems. Thanks!

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Looks like a Golden Cane palm, Dypsis lutescens. Here's a link to Areca palms which are quite different.

• tcharvey81
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You're right! Thank you so much!

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

I'm trying to work out the layout, assuming that is the same house in both photos, the second has the trees and Golden Cane Palm removed?

Golden Canes (Dypsis lutescens) can vary a lot with the level of yellow in the trunks. If you pick the right one you can get the colour you prefer. They clump and can end up quite tall. Areca vestiaria has orange, red or maroon trunks, again you need to pick the colour you prefer but also it can be single or multiple stemmed. Depends on the effect you want. The Dypsis is more drought tolerant than the Areca and I suspect also a bit more cold tolerant. The Areca tends to be slower growing and likes it a bit more shady.

There's a lot of different Arecas with a variety of growth habits (as there are Dypsis also) but those two species are some of the more common ones with relatively similar growth habits.

• tcharvey81
    7 years ago

Hey! It is not the same house (I wish!). I love the palms in the first one because it makes the entrance so inviting so I would like to copy that look for the boring last house. Thank you so much for your great advice. I'll shop around and see what is available. Sounds like I should lean towards the golden palm. Thanks again!

• Pat Key
    5 years ago

Can a cat palm grow in the house away from a window.

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

Yes, provided there's enough light.

• Pat Key
    5 years ago

Thanks