Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unautre

I give up. Tools for cleaning Mx fan palm trunk?

unautre
17 years ago

I've seen 100s of MX fan palms in California recently cleaned, where the seasoned trunk is weathered to gray, while the cleaned portion is still various shades of tan and brown.

But I've never been able to catch someone in the act of cleaning to see how they do it.

I've called around various tree maintenance companies here in San Antonio, and they don't even perform the service. (I did have one quote that was the equivalent of buying 20 ft MX fan palm)

Anybody know how how, what tools?, professionals use to clean the fiber and frond boots from MX fan palms down to smooth trunk?

Comments (20)

• illinoispalms
    17 years ago

I found this link about pruning palm trees. Hopefully this will answer all your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Palm Trees

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks but that otherwise useful document says "if you cannot pull off the petioles/boots, leave them" :)

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Unautre, use a box cutter.. make horizontal cuts.. this is for the lower part of the trunk, its very easy, but time consuming. If you want I can send a pic of mine that I did right after I did it.. you cant use this method for the upper fronds but this will give you a clear trunk for the lower part of the palm.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Unautre, here is a close up of my pruning right after it was done. In a few weeks or a month or so it grays up. Box cutter and just pull away debris is all that is needed..

I do have question for you. The one sago I picked up is sprouting its top to fertilize the females, seems though this process is taking all the nutrients and water from the fronds as they are all yellowing up. Any ideas on how to stop this, sago is starting to look very yellow now. Thanks..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok, your trunk looks like a cleaning that I'd be satisfied with and like the cleaned trunks I saw in CA.

=======================

For the Sago, you might find something here:

http://cycadjungle.8m.com/cycadjungle/articles.html

My guess would be that a healthy Sago doesn't have to sacrifice its fronds to support flowering. So I further guess its nutrients are missing/out of balance and/or lack of moisture.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Not much there to help me out,, will fertilize a bit more and water more but nothing specific to help me.. thanks though.. good luck with the trimming, time consumming but easy, just dont cut to deep and you will be fine..

• mattyb1
    17 years ago

Unature, I've asked a tree trimmer what he used to "skin" a Washy, and just like Kev. suggested he said a carpet knife. Apparently it's slow but it works.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

See and you didnt trust me.. I'm not a expert but the advice I do give is correct.. goodluck with your cleaning.. post a pic when your done..

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, did a few minutes of work on a local Mx fan palm with a boxcutter,and I can see how the resulting pattern matches what I've seen. yes, not too hard, just long. thanks

• kevip711
    17 years ago

No problem... hey visit my site and post a guestbook message if you dont mind.. The pic I posted was my old palm, he died during the winter of 04.. thats when I lost almost all my palms.. Wife wouldnt let me buy any more expensive palms after that.. dont blame her, the queen in the background wasnt cheap and he died too, due to the cold..

Here is a link that might be useful: My site

• kevip711
    17 years ago

How did it turn out.. got pics?

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I spent about 20 minutes attacking one side of my adopted MX fan palm with a good utility razor knife. I got the results I wanted.

Like anything else, it's a skill to be learned.

I certainly wasted a lot cuts by not looking close enough where to cut. Just sorta hacking away to see what happened. I think I can choose my cuts better, fewer cuts giving the same/better results.

I can clean only about 1/3 of the trunk standing on the ground. Will go a lot slower on a ladder.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Post the pics when your done..

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've cleaned the trunk for now as high as I could reach:

We had a very wet spring in 05, then a severe drought since, with 50% of annual rainfall. Last March, the rain allowed this palm to have a longer and many more fronds that this year. I've seen several Mx fan palms around town where the owners water the palm or the lawn, because the crowns are much fuller than this one. You can see the burned up turf grass indicating the owners are not watering enough even to keep their grass alive.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Not bad, I would go up another foot to clean it up, make the cuts straighter but not bad. I bought a Mexican Fan to replace my Sabal Mexicana. Seems these are impossible to transplant. I have about another year or two before I will have trunk on my Fan.. All your marks will grey up in a few weeks mabye a month.. Good going.. also got two big new sagos. One of the pups on one the old ones I have popped out of the ground with just one frond, kinda bizzare wish all the fronds would come out but just got the one.. Did you ever pick up those free sagos that guy had advertised? My parents brought me these from somewhere.. they had asian scale on these to but not to bad.

• orchiddude
    17 years ago

I tell you what works good too. Use a pair of kitchen scissors or some garden scissors. I use these and they work great. You dont have to worry about cutting yourself, they cut great and you can get close as you want.

• palmshaun
    17 years ago

I work as a patent searcher/analyst and out of curiousity, I did a few word string searches concerning trunk cleaning devices. Here are a few that I found.

Go to here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

and type in those numbers to look at the patents. Now if we can only get our hands on some of these. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: US Patent Number Search

• unautre
    Original Author
    17 years ago

USPTO site beeds Apple iTunes, a 36 MB download and who knows how many more 10s of MB when installed?

Web site designers, and their customers, can be myopic and dumb as a bag of hammers.

I've thought about using a hunter's tree-climbing gizmo as platform for trunk cleaning. Still thinking ...

http://www.treants.com/spider.wmv

• nlt99_aol_com
    15 years ago

Hi!

Does anyone know if it is OK to clean-up or skin a California Fan Palm the same way as a Mexican Fan Palm?

How can I be sure which I have?

Thanks for the help! Nick