Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

And we have a split leaf! (Jubaea Chilensis)

Central_Cali369
10 years ago

Hello!

Several years ago, I began pondering the idea of growing a Jubaea Chilensis. Our climate here in California is almost identical to the climate in Chile (both Mediterranean climates found west of major mountain chains.) So I took the plunge and purchased a small seedling online. I planted it in December 2007 in a far corner of our lot, and dreamed of the majestic palm it would become. This is the seedling I planted over 5 years ago:

Over the years, I saw it put out a measly amount of new strap leaves, and grew disillusioned with the grassy seedling far out in that corner. That part of the yard is my desert garden, and so it doesn't have regular irrigation. I would water it from time to time, perhaps once or twice during the summer months, and would check in on that seedling from time to time. Yesterday, as I was weeding, I ran my hand over what I believed to be a volunteer Phoenix Canariensis, since we do get those every year. Upon a closer inspection, I realized that I had run my hand over my Jubaea's very first split leaf! I am once again dreaming of seeing a majestic palm within my lifetime! Ive seen the giant Jubaeas in the San Francisco Bay area as well as in Southern California and in the northern part of our Central Valley, but not in the South Valley where I live. I am stoked!

I'll try to post a photo later today to show you all the new split leaf!

Comment (1)

• ericthehurdler
    10 years ago

looks good!
    its gonna be decades until it will be a majestic palm. I hope you are young lol

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz