Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for updates on potted Coconuts

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 13:37

Just looking to hear from any of you with Potted coconuts. How did they make it through the winter, how long have you had them outside, and how much growth have you seen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for updates on potted Coconuts

My potted coconut palms did fantastic inside. They gave me absolutely no problems, and they didnt get a huge amount of sunlight or warmth either. I bought My smallest coconut palm in August 2010 and it didnt even have roots. Now it has roots and it made it through its first winter without even losing a frond! My older coconut palm (I got it in June 2009) is a bit bare because an animal ate 2 of the lower fronds. But its pushing a new frond now (its been working on it since last fall) and it should start making fully adult fronds this summer! Some people say they are very hard to keep when indoors, but they are one of my easier plants. They do get a bit burned sometimes when they go outside which is why I make sure they are watered well when its sunny outside.
Hope everyone elses northern cocos are doing well!
-Alex

o
RE: looking for updates on potted Coconuts

Sounds good, I think the mistake people maek with them is over watering in the winter. I have a tall from Hawaii and this will be its 3rd summer in Michigan. It has three full adult fronds and the newest spear has started to shw signs of growht after three full days in sun. It poured this morning ans is supposed to be party sunny nad 75-80 tomorrow and Thursday. There was virtually no browning indoors this year. I had it in a north facing window where it got full morning sun. I also have a green dwarf and this will be its 2nd summer up here. It started putting out adult fronds last summer. Looks a little rougher than the tall but it started putting up a new spear in the past couple of days. Keep it up and enjoy the growth. They really grow fast wehen it is warm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here