Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patbatzu

Help my Christmas Palm please?

patbatzu
12 years ago

I have a greenhouse and in my greenhouse there is my christmas palm and i don't think it is doing so good.

The day temperatures are about no higher than 80

Night is not lower than 50

I think my tree is gonna die if anyone can help i would appreciate it sooo much! thanks. my other palms are doing great but this one seems to have a problem.

If anyone could tell me whats wrong and how i fix it i would be very grateful.

The leaves are turning a light tan color.

As you can see in the pics it is getting worse.

{{gwi:1135717}}

{{gwi:1135718}}

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Looks like sun burn to me. Was it not in a lot of sun this past winter and recently brought into a full sun location? Thats would definitely explain why the fronds look so washed out. And if that is the problem, put it in a bit more shade and it will recover with no problem (The old fronds will not look better, but in a month a few new fronds will grow and the plant will look much greener again).
    -Alex

• User
    12 years ago

First off, these are not easy palms (in my experience). Even if they get the tropical temps they demand, they can still be temperamental. They would probably prefer PM temps in the 60's. Your container seems a bit large and I get the impression the soil is heavy and retains moisture. I like to use a very sandy soil on these, which drains fast (but be careful because they also resent getting too dry. Can't tell you how many times I have failed with these (and I have probably 60 some varieties of palms!). Good luck.

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ tropicalzone7 Your right its probably sun burned.
    Thank you! P.S. good thing i brought it inside it got to -32 here

@ njoasis Thanks i will probably change the soil.
    Regards!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Glad I could help and Im also glad you brought it inside before it saw freezing temperatures. It doesnt take too much cold to kill christmas palms!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea i know they cannot take cold from October to mid march its below freezing here so the lowest it got exposed to about 50 one night. But it gets way cold here in the winter like i said our low for this winter was -32. But i have all kinds of palms here so they do just fine.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, -32F is very cold! Im glad you managed to find the tropics in your zone 4! I love to see palms where they aren't normally seen!
    -Alex

• patbatzu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yea the weather here sucks it was 39 today for a freaking high temp during the day... Is it may or September -_-. Wired thing is now its 43... how the hell did this happen? It's supposed to be nice all week next wee so i can put all my trees outside!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Mine looks like that-and Its always indoors,next to a sunny window,filtered by larger plants..some direct sun. The word a few years ago was how easy they are..I dont see that. Very slow growing. Most plants in that same situation as the Adonidia are thriving. It comes across to me as only happy outdoors in the tropics fresh air. Not a dedicated indoor palm as those we know.