Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Cycad for cold region/ house plant

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 14:05

Best Cycad for colder region? Could be outside during summer. Or kept inside by a south window.

Actually bought a Coontie from the grocery that looks okay, but doesn't seem like they are kept much as a potted plant like that. Could a Coontie be kept in an unheated garage during the winter near a window? Temps never go below 30 degrees F.

Just saw some typical "Sago Palms" outside at a nursery, look like they been growing normally outside imported from down south. Should I get one of those instead? Or look for a Cardboard that hasn't been abused yet?

Just want to get one and get it to grow somewhat "well", just to have one cycad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Cycad for cold region/ house plant

I have had good luck with dioon spinulosum and cycas revoluta in a unheated garage but the dioon lost some of there leaves because the garage was opened regularly during the winter.

I also overwintered a sago outside

o

Statenislandpalm- Can you elaborate on your sago you overwintered? I would love to overwinter a sago in my zone 7 yard in Maryland 30 miles north of Washington DC.

T.J.

o

I think the common Cycas revoluta is common for a reason--it's a great plant with a fair degree of cold tolerance. Mine are too big (and valuable) to do zonal experimenting, but maybe I'll try one year with a smaller one (with some protection). Coonties are just more temperamental in my experience. Your Sago will be fine in a chilly garage as long as frosts are light--keep mine in the 28-60 F range over Winter with some light.--I also like Dioon (overwintered in similar conditions. P.S., Important to keep really DRY over cold season--I think I might water mine once while they're in the garage (December until mid March).

o

I planted a small sago about 1 gallon. I protected it with 2 strings of 100 cristmas lights covered by a plastic box

Only one leaf is still green. I also overwintered a cordyline and a trachy in the box

o

Cycas taitungensis and taitungensis x guizhouensis are rated cold hardy to zone 7b.

o

Dennis, My dioon also lost some fronds in my garage. Still a bit of green left though so all I need now is a good flush!

Sago palms really are one of the easiest plants you can grow indoors. I keep them inside during the winter and take them out in the spring. Mine has an terrible habit of flushing indoors which messes up the look of the fronds.

Cycas taitungensis are considered the most cold tolerant cycad (that recovers quick enough to look nice for the summer).

Im trying a dioon edule this winter. I just hope it flushes a bit this summer so its fuller!
Good luck!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here