Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canary Island Date Palm Groom/Skin Stem?

Posted by monizac 9-10 Texas (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 16:02

I have a Canary Island Date Palm with an 8' high beautiful pine cone looking stem. Some of the "stubs" which create the pine cone look are starting to rot and have fallen off and others are becoming hollow. Personally I like to leave things as natural as possible, but I am beginning to get concerned that our wet weather (SW of Houston) is creating a situation where the old frond stubs should be removed. (Because they could get water logged, harbour insects or other pests) I have seen examples in high end homes and malls where the stems have been "skinned", and just have the pine cone look near the growing fronds. Do they use a special tool? Would this be logical for my situation? Can you do it yourself? Would it be healthy for my tree? We usually just trim off the old fronds with an electric chain saw on a pole. Grateful for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canary Island Date Palm Groom/Skin Stem?

You can cut them off. Keep the ones closer to the fronds for a better look, but you definately could cut the lower ones. I am not sure how you would get them off. You may have to hire someone.

o
RE: Canary Island Date Palm Groom/Skin Stem?

Over time the ends of Canary will loosen and you will be able to pull them off. I like the look where the butt end of the most recent fronds is somewhat longer, the next oldest rather tight, then most the palm clean when the ends get to where the pull off with just a little effort.
If you want to trim more, you can get a palm knife like this one,
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gardgal/msg071953422790.html
or you can just use a carpet knife, which you can get at any hardware store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here