Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melankaya

Parlor Palm Probs!!! :-(

melankaya
12 years ago

I recently got a parlor palm and the leaves were browning at the tips, I thought it might have been the cats so I put it up on a bar char out of their reach. It isnt over or under watering (which I do once in a week and the soils always moist, and I mist them once a day or on alternate days sometimes even thoug it supposedly doesnt make a difference to it) I see some brown specks now at the bottom of the stem and am hoping its not a fungus or something... can anyone help? Please?! Let me know if you can see the pics on the picasa link I have below......

Mel

Here is a link that might be useful: Parlor Palm Pics

Comments (9)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

It looks pretty healthy to me! Parlor palms tend to get dry tips especially when small or indoors (I'm not sure of the reason exactly). If you have a spot that gets ALL DAY shade, I would put it outside during the warm weather months. As long as its above 40F, you will never have to worry about cold damage (and as long as it isnt getting direct sunlight and is watered well, heat shouldnt bother it either!).
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Not a parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans).. .can't tell from tiny, dark pics what it is or what problem is (that web site won't allow me to enlarge photos), but it's either a whole bunch of parlor palms, or it's a suckering species of Chamaedorea or another genus of palm altogether. Chamaedorea elegans only have single stems.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Lzrddr, I think its just a bunch of Chamaedorea elegans planted together. I've seen that done a lot with small plants. Mine was a triple when I got it and I have seen some with 20 or more plants (Im not sure how healthy that is though).

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

could be... I just cant get a close enough look.

• melankaya
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Really?! Oh thats a relief.... I was beginning to think that the browning was getting worse

Its always between 73 to 78 degrees Farenheit and the plant is indoors since 2 weeks ago when I got it....... It is not exposed to sunlight at all.... This picture depicts what I'm exactly troubled about... Im not sure how the pic is small or dark but I could email the pic to you if you require? I tried to scratch it slightly with a nail but it doesnt come off or anything, though does feel the slightesssssst bit embossed kinda like, you know?

Would love to put my mind at rest! Thank you Alex and Lzrddr

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

for some reason, today my computer is letting me get a closer look at your palms... don't look like Chamaedorea species at all... look more like a dozen or more Seedling Howeas (Kentia palms)... but can't totally rule out Dypsis lutescens, though I doubt it. You may need to thin out that group if these plants keep getting larger and larger.

• melankaya
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How could I find out ...... Also, do you think the browning on the stems in the pictures are normal?

Thanks!

• Guillaume1789
    11 years ago

HELP MY PARLOR PALM
    Three weeks ago I bought two palms that I believe to be
    Chamaedorea Elegans, commonly known as a parlour palms. They are living but not thriving and thus I seek advice from those familiar with this plant.

Container
    Each plant still rests in a plastic store planter that is 8" in height and 10" in diameter with four 1 "side drainage holes.

Plant Size
    One plant has three large stems that directly abut each other at the base. The largest of the stems has 5 offshoots that bear leaves, the next largest stem also has 5 offshoots, and the smallest has four. This plant measures 4 feet at its highest point and 3 feet in leaf spread at its widest point. The second plant is somewhat larger with two large stems and one small stem that directly abut each other at the base. The largest of the stems has 6 offshoots that bear leaves, the next largest stem also has 6 offshoots, and the smallest has three. This plant measures 4 feet at its highest point and 4 feet in leaf spread at its widest point.

Light
    I have placed each plant at opposite ends of a large picture window with curtains partially drawn where it receives direct morning light and indirect light thereafter in a city (Syracuse, NY) not renowned for sunny days. I have rotated the plants weekly.

Water
    With the plants I purchased a "Rapitest" digital moisture meter from Lusterleaf. Its watering chart refers only to a "palm" without regard to type or size and with a meter wilt point of 3-4, below which you water and above which you do not water. When I asked for more detailed plant directions, Lusterleaf said they have none. I have therefore tried to maintain the watering level at around 4 with about 1 and one half cup of weekly water for each plant. I also have sprayed the leaves of each plant with water once a week.

Condition of Plants
    Last week the tips of many leaves were brown. I trimmed these brown tips. This week I noticed that the ends of many leaves were beginning to droop as opposed to displaying the rigidity that I believe defines healthy leaves. Some of the leaves also were developing long yellow streaks and losing the solid, dark green color that I believe defines healthy leaves.

Infestation
    I shake the leaves weekly while placing white paper below them to detect mites. I have not detected any mites.

Fertilizer or Plant Food
    I have not added fertilizer or plant food to the potting soil in which the palms were planted at the time of purchase.

Requested Advice
    I would be deeply grateful for advice on improving the condition and care of my plants and particularly for recommended readings of the Rapitest meter (Lusterleaf was of utterly no assistance) or of alternate watering measures.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

a photo is worth 1000 words (and probably more)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County