Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larrm_gw

Spindle Palm Separation

larrm
12 years ago

HI ALL

Rumaging through a local green house that caters to tropical plants I found 4 pots with 3 spindle palms in each, they are around 3-4 feet high for $32.00 per pot. I have been going to this facility for many years and just recently they seem to be bringing in palms, Pygmay Date, Chinese Fan, Majesty and now Spindle Anyway for 32.00 I purchased one and just separated (with very little root damage) into individual containers...I am also germinating quite a few palms inc spindle/bottle but IF one of these Spindles survive it will be well worth the small investment, as it will take many years for my seedlings to reach this size. I will post in a month or so to update my new spindle's condition (hopefully good).

Personaly I find Spindles much more attractive as individual speciman plants

Comments (14)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I just got a really nice sized spindle palm today and I definitely agree, they look their best as single specimens, especially right when their trunk is starting to swell at the bottom. Keep us updated on how it grows, if you didnt damage the roots (which is very difficult to do when separating palms) it should pick up right where it left off!
    -Alex

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex
    The soil was very soft and I was able to separate with out breaking any large roots....a few very small secondary side roots, I would say at least 95% of the roots are completely intact. A couple weeks should tell. I will water some every day for a week or so to reset soil around the roots. The spindle is beautiful palm that grows quite well indoors.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I think it should be fine! And Spindle palms are definitely very easy indoors. I had one inside for about 2 years and it had no problems at all other than scale (but even the scale didnt slow it down). I even left it outside one night when it went down to about 29F and it still lived! They are pretty strong palms considering their tropical look and habitat so I think they should handle the division, and spending half the year indoors, very well!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Second day since splitting....so far all 3 look ok.

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Day 5 since splitting pot with 3 spindle palms into 3 individual pots....still no sign of any stress...all 3 look great.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thats great to hear! If there arent any signs of stress 2 months from now, you should definitely be in the clear!
    -Alex

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HI
    All three spindle palms separated are growing new spears, one strarted opening today, its around 3-4 ft long. Spindles CAN successfully separated using caution.
    Now I need to sell one as I have 48 other seedlings of various palms, that I started from seed. Have t keep the wife happy,,,,I think the palms are less trouble.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im glad that the spindles are all getting established and its been 2 months so if they are doing good up to now, they should keep on going strong! My Spindle is also making its first frond since I got it. I have to say, its definitely one of my favorite palms that I own, they are such strong growers and they look great too!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree spindles are attractive palms that do well in containers and as house plants, I am happy all three survived separation.

I also purchased 10 bottle palm seeds (another favorite) 8 out of ten had germinated within 5 weeks and are doing great some are around 4-5 in tall with 5 leaves after 2 months.

• drich30099
    12 years ago

Good to know! I just purchased 3 spindle palms in a single pot at Lowe's for $5!! I may split into 3 pots and see how they do/ I have a question, do I completely cover those roots with soil to the bottom of trunk or leave a little of the roots exposed since that is how it is in the pot? I know some palms don't mind that a few roots are exposed, just wondering before I repot today?! Thanks!

• larrm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great Deal! We are almost neighbors I live in southern Ontario near windsor. As mine, in the original pot of 3 had the roots covered, I transplanted them with soil to the bottom of the trunk, they have shown no transplant shock and have all put out new fronds and new spears since transplanting. Spindles are beautiful palms and I believe more so as individual trees.

Larrm

• PRO
    dave polowick design
    7 years ago

Hello Larrm. I just noticed your post on dividing spindle palms, are they still alive. I'm in the process of dividing 3 of mine and wondered if it was a success. Which greenhouse are you referring to that sells the palms, I live only 45 minutes away from you in Chatham

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Spindles are one of my favorite indoor palms. They look very tropical and do well well indoors for me over winter..., even in the basement, under artificial. You only need to exercise a lot of caution if you grow these as indoor/outdoor palms. They burn severely if you do not first acclimate them to outdoor sun (worse than any other palm I have seen). They also get quite big, and soon outgrow your living room.

• akarinz
    7 years ago

How tall do they get if you grow them outside?