Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foxtail planting depth??

Posted by slane15 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 16:52

Planted 4 foxtails in the back yard a couple weeks ago. Palms are about overall height 12-15ft. Now that they have been watered in well I see that the ground level comes about 1.5" above the point were you have that drop off and the roots begin... Is this depth too deep? If so any remedies to help from root or causing fungus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foxtail planting depth??

The place where the roots begin should be just below the soil. I never go below maybe half an inch deep myself when planting Foxtails. I do not know if that depth that you stated will be to deep, but I would not keep it there. I plant some fan palm a little deeper, like Copernicia or Bismarkia because they can handle it.

o
RE: foxtail planting depth??

I don't know that it would matter that much. As they get older the base of the trunk swells up and roots come out above soil level anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here