Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnlll

just planted palm tree, dries out?

johnlll
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I just bought this beautiful palm tree and paid decent amount of money for it. I planted the palm tree right after I brought it home from the store. For planting I used some store bought garden/potting soil. At the time of planting we had somewhere around 80 degrees. I watered the palm tree two times a week. However, the tree started to dry out, first leaves at the bottom and now dried leaves are all over the palm. Please help, what can I do to save the tree? I really do not want to loose it.

--------------------

{{gwi:1136155}}

---

{{gwi:1136156}}

---

{{gwi:1136157}}

---

{{gwi:1136158}}

---

{{gwi:1136159}}

---

{{gwi:1136160}}

Comments (10)

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

do you know what species of Phoenix it is? it looks like a sylvestris. depending where you live or obtained the palm it could be Texas Phoenix Palm Decline. the symptoms sound similar to yours with the leaves dying from bottom up. but i hope its something less severe.

good luck
    -eric

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Are those current pics and when did you plant it? Looks like its going through transplant shock. Usually what I do is put them in shade or use shade cloth to block out the sun for a few days. And then make sure the soil doesnt dry out completely but isnt too moist either. Looks like a date palm.They are pretty tough. In a few days it should recover.

- US_Marine

• johnlll
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for replies. I live in California and these are new pictures that I just took. Unfortunately I do not know what kind of palm tree is it...Some people are saying that it is a sago palm tree.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Was it in a pot when you bought it or balled and burlap? If B&B, the roots were probably severely chopped when it was dug up out of the field. Either way, I would take the lower half of the leaves off, since they're drying up anyway. Less leaves means less moisture the roots need to suck up to keep the tree alive. I wouldn't give it a complete hurricane cut at this stage though.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

its definitely not a sago palm lol its most likely a Phoenix dactilyfera or sylvestris"date palm"
    have you given the middle spear a nice tug? if its loose at all than you have a problem.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Yes I agree, definitely not a sago palm (although date palms are very similar looking to some cycads when young (sago palms are cycads, not palms despite the common name)).
    I would give the newest frond, the spear, a firm tug. Dont pull too hard, but if it flies out with a firm tug then it is already too late to save the tree because it has died. If the center spear will not pull out no matter what then it is still alive and has a chance.
    If its alive, cut off all the dead fronds so you can see if the damage is continuing. Water it well but make sure it does not get too wet. Date palms can handle a lot of drought when older but they do prefer some extra watering during the first year so they can get a good root system. If you got it from a nursery, I suggest you take these pics and show them what is happening. They may be able to help, maybe even give a refund (although most wont). If you got it from Home Depot and can find the pot it came with and the recipt, you can actually return it to the store for a refund.

Good luck! I hope it makes it! Date palms are very easy to grow once they are established as long as they are disease free!

-Alex

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Take it back!

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Dont give up on it just yet. It might come out of it.

- US_Marine

• coconut_palm
    11 years ago

As others have said, trim off the lower dried leaves, leaving about 4 inches of the leaf base (petiole) protruding from the trunk. You don't want to trim palms right up against the trunk because this can open them up to disease and pest problems. I would find a good organic fertilizer in a 6-2-4 or 12-4-8 ratio and apply it according to the directions around the rootball area (but not right up against the trunk), then apply a good native hardwood mulch about two inches deep in a radius from a few inches away from the trunk out about 2.5 to 3 feet, then water it in really good on all sides. Water again really good in about two to three days, and keep on this watering schedule for about a week and a half, then you can taper off to a good deep watering just twice a week, and in about a month, taper off watering to just once per week.

You might want to get a good fungicide from a local nursery and spray it according to the directions onto the inner part of the crown and on the leaves. Do this again in a week or two.

John

• johnlll
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! so should I cut the bottom leaves out?