Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palm_shade

ID please

Palm_shade
10 years ago

Im a little unsure whats what when it comes to Kentias, I have books telling me 1 thing and other information telling me another, I have a small Kentia (pic 1) Howea Forsteriana but im also reading that pic 2 is Howea Forsteriana but they are totally different, ive seen large versions of pic 1 and it looks completely different to pic 2. Ive read also Howea Forsteriana referred to as sentry palm or paradise palm, basically everwhere I read tells me something different but im finding these both under the same names

Comments (15)

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 2

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Not 100% sure but I think pic #1 might be Chamaedorea seifrizii. That's a clumping palm with very slender trunks as it gets taller. Howea forsteriana is a single trunk palm, pic #2 will be a multiple planting. Check out these 2 links for more information.

www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Howea/forsteriana.html

www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Howea/LordHowe.html

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

It looks like a Chamaedorea elegans with several seedlings planted next to each other. Still a great indoor palm, they are much smaller than Kentia palms and more affordable.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, im not sure if these are available here I dont recall ever seeing them,I looked them up and apprently there very hardy palms and easy to look after but exactly the same is said about the palm in pic 1 so im not sure.
    Id love to have 1 in my living room.

Thanks for the links tropicbreeze ill read them when I get home.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Links were very interesting, it says that the kentia (pic 2) is 1 of the most popular indoor palms in the world but ive never seen any, does anybody have pictures of small 1s atall?
    This pic is 1 example of whats confusing me, its from 1 of my books.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Links were very interesting, it says that the kentia (pic 2) is 1 of the most popular indoor palms in the world but ive never seen any, does anybody have pictures of small 1s atall?
    This pic is 1 example of whats confusing me, its from 1 of my books.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

what book is that?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Firstly, we seem agreed pic #1 isn't a Kentia. The book image is diagrammatic, pointing out the difference between those particular species rather than comparing to other palms generally.I don't have any photos of young Howeas, they won't grow here. Most of the ones I've seen elsewhere (and in photos) have been larger plants

The reason I thought pic #1 might be Chamaedorea seifrizii is that the left side trunk looks like it's curving out from the base where the other trunks are. That suggests a clumping palm to me. But the photo is a bit fuzzy, so still not sure. Where did you get your plant from?

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

That diagram is just showing the difference between 2 Howea species. I have seen Kentias used as houseplants (and especially in lobbies in hotels), but I also have yet to see one for sale (and I hear they are often pretty expensive with they are for sale!)
    -Alex

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Here in California they are always for sale at Home Depots, Lowes etc. and often sold as 2-3 leaf seedlings in small containers with multiple plants (like Chamaedoreas often are). They are over priced in most of these stores, though. I have dozens in my yard that I need to get rid of if anyone is interested (am moving to a climate in which they won't survive). But you gotta come over and dig them up... too much of a hassle to mail them.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Book is the house plant expert by Dr. D. G . Hessayon.
    Im not tyring to prove anybody wrong im just highlighting why im confused between the 2 types of palm and also I really 1 like pic 2 which is seeming impossible to find here. Ive emailed 1 of our top garden centers see if they have any, they requested pics so im waiting to hear from them.

Lzddr shame I dont live near you lol

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Do you have any contacts for nurseries in Holland? If anything is going to be available it'll be available there.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No dont know any in Holland, its a good idea tho I should inquire if I have no luck here which I have a feeling I wont lol.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Another alternative, if you have friends or relatives in Sydney, ask them. There's large seeding plants everywhere there. You could start them from seed, 'slow but sure'.

• Palm_shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this what im looking for?

Sponsored
High Quality, Hand Crafted Shutters Custom Made for Your Space