Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcara7

Question about some palms. Advice??

jcara7
10 years ago

Hey everyone,
It looks like the weather is finally gonna break after this weekend! I was wondering when I should bring the last of my palms out. My two majestys are out because they were starting to brown up indoors anyway, and i also have my pygmys out, which are looking good. I have 3 spindles still indoors and was wondering when it would be ok to bring them out. My dad has a green house that we use so i could always put them in there if we were to get another cold snap. I dont mind them indoors, but i want to get them acclimated to the sun as well since they burn like crazy! Just wondering what temp should i be concerned about to move them into the greenhouse, and also how can i acclimate them to the sun? Thanks!!
-Joe

Comments (4)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I took my spindle palm out already, they don't mind the cooler weather and are actually decently hardy (mine went through a light frost with no problems, but I definitely recommend keeping it away from weather that cold as a precaution).
    The sun is getting strong out there now so now is a good time to get them acclimated to the sun. My spindle is the only palm of mine that has not gotten any burn in the sun, everything else has shown at least minor burn on the new leaves. I would keep it in mostly shade for a few weeks and slowly bring it out to sun, but spindles are definitely not too finicky.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• xerophyte NYC
    10 years ago

The sun by itself doesn't burn leaves, it's the combination of warm air and sun that will. What I try to do is wait for a period where it will be cool and partly cloudy/ rainy for 4-5 days straight - 50's F during the day max - and then as it warms, the plants are fine. I put my cycads outside about 3 weeks ago while it was still cold, right onto my patio with full sun, and they are fine. If I waited until this week, they would be toast without protection.

If you are taking them outside right into sun and warmth, you can find a spot that just gets some sun in the early morning and leave them there for a couple of weeks, or you can use a shade cloth or other screen. As the plants get bigger and bigger it becomes more difficult to pamper them, LOL!

x

• jcara7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. I think I'm going to move them out tomorrow or some te this weekend and try to acclimate them with a shady spot at first. X I know! Lol the bigger they are the harder they get that's definitely true! I love the spindle palms. I have three I separated last summer and all put out at least one new frond during the winter indoors. They don't seem to mine being inside at all.

Joe

• jcara7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. I think I'm going to move them out tomorrow or some te this weekend and try to acclimate them with a shady spot at first. X I know! Lol the bigger they are the harder they get that's definitely true! I love the spindle palms. I have three I separated last summer and all put out at least one new frond during the winter indoors. They don't seem to mine being inside at all.

Joe

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting