Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Please help me with my Cycads

greendale
9 years ago

I have had this Sago Palm for 2 winters. I moved it outside for the summer at the mid of April. But its leaves gradually turning yellow. The lower ring of leaves are more yellow then the top ring. Is it from sunburn or is the palm dying? What can I do to save it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• subtropix
    9 years ago

Bleaching from the sun is probably the cause. All is not lost,
    it should eventually shoot a new growth, maybe in July.
    I once had one with no leaves, assumed it was dead and did nothing for it. It then grew a new crown. One of mine (have several of these guys) currently looks like yours, I am confident it will recuperate eventually this season. Good luck!

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Not unusual for them to shed all their leaves, though generally they turn brown before falling off. They then put out a "flush" of new leaves. I've seen old leaves all fall off before the new flush, but also seen the flush before the old leaves fall. Just make sure the soil it's in drains well. You don't want it sitting in soggy soil.

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Should I move it to a more shady area? It is against my west side wall, so it is in the shade all morning and then gets sun all afternoon. And now think I did not acclimate it when I moved it outside. I did not see any sign of new flush though. It is in gritty mix and it drains well.(at least I think:)
    -greendale

• subtropix
    9 years ago

No need to move it now. In fact, the more sun the better. The NEW growth will have no problem with the sun, it's the established leaves that have been acclimated to dark (indoors) that was the problem.

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update on the Cycads. A new set of leaves just 'Flushed'. Thanks all.

• islandbreeze
    9 years ago

Just an FYI...You can cut all of the ugly yellowing leaves off now and let the new leaves develop. Just make sure it gets full sun and don't let it dry out too much during this time while it grows those new leaves. Glad to hear it flushed for you.

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tip. It should not hurt if I leave the yellowing leaves on, right? I was thinking cut them before I move it inside in the fall - to save space. :) I will watch my watering too. Thanks a lot.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Flushing is a good time to fertilize it also..gets you bigger fronds.
    And for next time..Cycads will often respond to having all the older worn,burnt,dead fronds removed by flushing a new set quicker. Also- when they dont flush?..thats a sign they should be fertilized.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz