Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vobgro

Will a Canary island date palm grow [well] in Dallas?

vobgro
13 years ago

I've heard that CIDP is some what cold hardy, but last winter Dallas has some freezes and some medium snow fall (that you can build a snow man), I'm not sure if it would survive here.

Comments (10)

• vobgro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If it doesn't do well , can you suggest some palms that will do good in zone 8 and survive snow fall?

• xerophyte NYC
    13 years ago

You should talk to this guy:

www.palmtalk.org/forum

x

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    13 years ago

If you are looking for a date palm, I would suggest a regular date palm or a Cretan date palm instead of Canary Island Date Palms. None of the date palms are truly 100% hardy in Dallas in my opinion, as the record low there is 0F and I've not heard of any date palm surviving less than 8F (a probably false report about a Medjool date palm). They are pretty pricey if you buy a mature specimen because they grow very slowly, but seeds are VERY readily available and germinate quickly and easily.

That being said, they are easy to find, grow from seed, or replace, so go for it.:) You may also consider attempting to find a suckering plant as the suckers tend to protect each other from cold snaps, and only one of the stems needs to live to preserve the plant and shoot off more suckers.

• james760
    13 years ago

vobgro dont worry about snow on canaries. thats the least of your problems its the rain & cold snaps that do the most damage! this past winter we had tons of rain then we got hit by are lowest temp. of the year which was 20*F. canaries were fine but it warmed up pretty quick only to like 50's. then 2008 winter we got 18in. of snow but temp. never went below 30*F or maybe a few degrees lower but for sure not below 25*F and all CIDP around my area made it fine, but the 2007 winter lowest temp. was 13*F and all the canaries were fried but most all came back. so i also say go for it!

• mastiffhoo
    13 years ago

I was in Nags Head NC over the weekend and visited a garden center there. They had a very big Canary potted. I asked if it would survive there, and they said no way that they wheel it in the greenhouse over the winter. I would imagine the lows in Dallas get lower than the lows in Nags Head (I could be wrong)...

• jacklord
    13 years ago

I lived in Dallas for a year and thought the winter very mild. Pattern was always the same. Warm for about 3 or 4 days a week and it would gradually drop down, but rarely to freezing. One sleet dusting.

Now of course, that is only winter. But it was the warmest place I have ever lived. And some fella near me with a quasi mansion had two rows of date palms growing, although I am unsure of the type and what protection was used. Look around Addsion near the park and see if they are still there.

I say, give it a try.

• us_marine
    13 years ago

I would also give it a try. You should look around your area and note if CIDP's, or any other palms are growing there. That could give you an idea if it can grow there without protection. Whats the climate like?

• HU-507585980
    25 days ago

Any luck with good palm trees for dallas?

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I would try Butia/Pindo palms! They grew very fast for me (in NJ), in large tubs that go into the garage in the winter.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting