Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ponytail Palm

Posted by valeriev z9 Bay Area CA (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 19:34

Hi,

I have a ponytail palm that a co worker got me for Valentines day, from Safeway. (she left the price tag on)

Should I repot it seeing as the soil may not be of the standards it's "supposed" to thrive in? It's been doing fine since Valentines day in it's original pot, just a little bit of brown tips. :( How do I get the brown tips to stop too?

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ponytail Palm

Brown tips mean that it might not be getting enough humidity. Make sure you dont over water it or underwater it. If you want, you can take it outside and water it daily during really hot days and maybe once every 2-3 days (maybe even once a week) during cooler days. They should actually be cold tolerant enough to survive in the Bay Area if you live near the coast since they are hardy down to at least 25F.
Good luck! They are great plants indoors or out and can handle lots of dry soil, but prefer to only dry out a little bit between waterings.
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here