Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mealybugs killing my palms

Posted by foxroofcleaning S. FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 20:12

Hello,

I've been fighting with these Mealybugs for quite some time.
From what I have read in the web, I learned that spraying rubbing alcohol mixed with water on the base of the palms (where these bugs are) should get rid of them.
Unfortunately, my palm plants don't seem to recover from what is killing them. Every time I spray alcohol, I discover the white little killers crawl up, or at least I think so.. Although, when I open the old leaf stems, I see more of these bugs and apparently they are not dead (when I squeeze them, they explode some liquid)..

What in the world can I get in order to kill these species forever?

I am not an expert planter. In fact, I don't know anything about plants. I picked up those an year ago from HomeDepot and back then, they were so big and healthy. What did I do to them? How can I safe and bring them back to life?
Here is a pic of them (the two in the middle) on my balcony, taken 15mins ago:
http://foxroofcleaning.com/images/palm-plants.jpg

Please help!

Thank You.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mealybugs killing my palms

I hear neem oil works well. I have a huge problem with pests on my plants. Rubbing alcohol seems to work well on scale and pretty well on aphids. Coffee grinds work okay but not as well for me as some document. I have even gotten to the point where I put purell on these pests but that also kills the leaves that come in contact with it.

Good luck!!
-Alex

o

Since I can put some of my plants outside and away from animals, I have used a systemic such a Bayer pest control" and this has done the job for good on mine..Thye just fall off after injesting the toxin..Eevn scale hates this stuff, aphids, and etc.

I am not big on sysytemics, but in this case, I don't care. It does the job on non edables..

Mike

o

First isolate that plant away from others or if possible throw it away.

The pest control cited above should work. And repeat treatments when needed. I find eventually the pests die off. Alcohol is not working in this case.

o

Imadichloprid, the active ingredient in Bayer Advance Systemic Tree and Shrub and it's commercial twin Merit, is a godsend for sucking insects, scale, aphids, mealy, etc.

I know it's controversial for its possible role in colony collapse disorder in bees, although that has never been proven, but I love this product for certain uses, like the OP has going on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here