Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend #3 update

Posted by bradleyo 6a (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 20:21

I'm done for the weekend. Three beds down, one to go. Everything that I brought with me that goes in the ground is in except for my hardy citrus.Now I can watch my stuff grow. Next up the veggie garden. I didn't want to wait too long so I mixed in some habaneros and poblanos with my side "semi-edible" bed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm goiong to try to give Jim and Will a run for their money. First time ever trying these. I'm a bit behind, but I like to use a lot of fish emulsion!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend #3 update

Looks awesome! You got a ton of planting done this week! Cant wait to see all of that full out, its already looking tropical!
-Alex

o

Everything looks great! I cant believe the size of your upright EE's. Did you let them die back before digging them? Mine are only about 8" tall. But I did leave them in the ground over winter too.

o

I got my upright elephant ear bulbs in March and they didnt even make a true leaf yet! Not sure whats going on with them, the elephant ear I overwintered inside from last year has already grown 2 large leaves this season. Yours looks great Bradleyo!
-Alex

o

I let them get hit by frost last year before digging up. I then planted almost immediately and had them going in my my grown room thru the winter. I'm hoping they can get some serious size to them this year.

o

Looking very nice and neat. You have a good layer of mulch there. What is the palm in photos 7, 8 and 9? In photo 7 it's a bit more than halfway between the Alocasia and the Banana. In photo 8 it's the first palm going straight back behind the Alocasia.

o

Bradleyo, I always thought they needed a period of dormacy. If they don't get back to last years size I will try that this winter.

o

tropic - the palm is a needle palm and there is another right in front of the Hopi crape in the adjacent bed.

chad - I wouldn't think they need a period of dormancy, they don't die back in South Florida, so I would guess they only die back after getting cut down by a frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here