Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

One sad sago

sara82lee
9 years ago

My dearest husband bought me a sago palm - last year for mothers day! I never got it in the ground last year, though it lived outside in the pot it came in (probably not big enough). So I brought it in the house for the winter.

It obviously hated me for making it live so long in that original pot AND spend the winter in the house. I feared it was going to be dead by spring. The leaves began to lose their color one by one right up until the time I put it in the ground about 6 weeks ago. I've already cut off 7 leaves that were completely brown. I am only now convinced that it's not going to die because it's kept what color it has left since I finally planted it outside.

I know these don't exactly grow very fast, but is there anything I can do to help it now? I did mix compost in when I planted it.

I'm also a bit worried that, since it's starting in such a weakened state, it won't be established enough by this coming winter. I've been told that sagos are hardy here by someone else on this site, but I'm really borderline 7b/8a and I'm just not sure. Is there anything I can do to help it get ready for this coming winter?

Thank you, thank you! Sara

This post was edited by sara82lee on Thu, May 29, 14 at 21:27

Comment (1)