Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

Planted and mulched

bradleyo_gw
10 years ago

Haven't been too active lately, too busy looking for a job still. I am planted and mulched now, but everything is way behind. We had a late freeze the fried a lot of my stuff including the crapes, nanas, ee's, fig, etc... Lost some annuals too. Can't wait to find a job somewhere where I won't have to deal with May freezes.

BBB coming back from some pretty heavy first year damage.

{{gwi:1137194}}

Desert bed

{{gwi:1137195}}

Hopefully what the for sale ad will look like

{{gwi:1137196}}

These cacti were planted exactly 1 year ago from single pads!

{{gwi:1137197}}

{{gwi:1137198}}

Hardy crinum. Not beautiful, but unique for here.

{{gwi:1137199}}

Black Calla lilly from Triple Oaks came back unprotected

{{gwi:1137200}}

Fig suffered from dieback and transplant shock. Oleander just starting to come back. It suffered a major scale infestation over the winter so I cut off everything.

{{gwi:1137201}}

Dwarf Mountain Laurel flower

{{gwi:1137202}}

Hibiscus, nanas and ee's all got zapped

{{gwi:1137203}}

I took out my waggie and replaced it with the spindle. I'd like to take my waggie south with me, assuming I find a job.

{{gwi:1137204}}

Herb corner with honeysuckle.

{{gwi:1137205}}

More fried nana's and ee's. The majesty surprisingly undamaged at 28F, even though it was planted just a few days prior.

{{gwi:1137207}}

Adondia seedlings, just like Jane

Wood survived on all crapes, however all the foliage was zapped during the freeze and had to restart.

From my front porch

Comments (7)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Wow, that freeze really set some things back, but your yard is still looking great anyways! I'm getting a Southern Magnolia in a few weeks for the side of my house. Hoping to get one with some buds on it, and hoping for a mild winter so it can really start growing fast next year!
    My fig also got die back this year, nothing too severe, but I was really surprised because it has seen colder winters (only got down to 12F this past winter) and other figs around the area are already very full and some are even loaded with ripening fruit.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing everything fill in and I hope you can take a lot of things to your new house!
    -Alex

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If and when I move South, I will take almost nothing, just the waggie and maybe a few other things. We will likely be renting for a year or so until we learn the area....IF we move!

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

If you do move south, I definitely see why you wouldn't take too many plants since you can get them all a lot easier and cheaper in the south. Keep us updated, no matter where you move, I hope you keep making it tropical!
    -Alex

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I can understand you wanting to make a move to the warmer. I did it years back, after living in something around zone 10. Now I feel that it would be nicer if it didn't get so cold where I am, a zone 12. Wish I could move to a zone 13, LOL.

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's funny Alex, I think if I move to a place surrounded by palm trees, I may get into other things like tropical fruits, citrus.

Tropic-when you say 12, I'm guessing Hawaii unless you are outside the US and in the true tropics.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

From outside the US, but it's just the old "Grass is greener (and warmer) on the other side of the hill" syndrome. All the same, there's no way I'll move back to colder.

• jimhardy
    10 years ago

I can't say I enjoy the winters here but one cool thing about having a
    wide range of stuff growing(Bananas,T.Ferns,Trachys,Chammy's,
    Washy's and the Cactus)is that no matter what kind of growing season
    you have one of these varieties will ALWAYS be thriving.

In years(like this one)of flooding rains the Bananas,Trachys and T.Ferns-at least-all have stellar years,in years of drought/heat
    all the desert plants(Cactus,Washys,Chammy's etc.) shine.

....And in years like this when your not sure of the fate of the garden
    long term and don't plant anything new,you certainly appreciate what
    comes back every year!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting