Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about my palm tree

Posted by TiffanyPolli California (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:51

Hello all
I believe I have a California Palm. I have two in my back yard, here in Marina CA. The soil is very sandy.
My Dad told me last year if I did not water them they would die. Of course we are in a drought. The tree I am concerned about has always been taller. The fronds appear to be smaller than my other healthier palm, ( I am attaching photos of both for reference)
I bought a palm fertilizer stake product at Home Depot and hammered stakes in about 2' from the base about 8 weeks ago. I have noticed in the last several months that this tree was not very happy... I do not want to lose it and want to be proactive before it is too late. I have them both skinned once a year. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a soaker line wrapped around the base of each tree (and all my other plants too) I run it about once a week for an hour, is that too much?
The first photo is the healthy palm
Thanks again!!
Tiffany

Follow-Up Postings:

o
pic of sad palm

see picture here
Thanks again for any and all input!

o
RE: Question about my palm tree

Wether these are California fan palms or Mexican fan palms(they look like mex fans to me) both are native to deserts in North America and are very drought tolerant it may be too much water take the irrigation tubes off for a while to see if that works, water in severe droughts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here