Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend #2 update

Posted by bradleyo 6a (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:03

It doesn't look like a whole lot of progress, however, I miscalculated how much sod I removed. I measured the other day and it ended up being 1265 sq. feet of sod. I am forsaking the veggie garden in the back yard for now, that bed alone is 560 sq. feet. It will get done after I get the front beds planted. I turned over all of the soil and tilled in 320 lbs. of gypsum and 72 lbs. of greensand. I'm getting 8 yards of mushroom manure tomorrow to till into the front beds. I got done a little earlier than anticipated today, so I decided to build my desert bed. It's a little smaller than my old one but it took 33 boulders and 4 tons of sand and gravel. Here are the pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend #2 update

Wow, sounds like a ton of work, but your plants will definitely thank you for it since you have some great soil now! The cacti bed looks nice already, imagine how nice it will look once everything grows and gets big! I cant wait to see how tropical things look in the summers to come! You have gotten a ton of stuff done already!

Good luck!
-Alex

o

That d-garden will keep the postman honest!

Nice work-now is the time to plant and it doesn't look like your wasting any time(-:

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

I don't have great soil yet. My delivery of compost today was cancelled because they ran out of it over the weekend. Getting it tomorrow hopefully. Once I get that tilled in then I can start planting. I actually thought I was doing the mailman a favor. I've always heard not to plant things that attract bees next to the mailbox.

o

Everything is looking great! After your last house, I can't wait to see this one finished!

o

Good progress. I would also add peatmoss to the tropical beds. I always add peatmoss to my tropical beds because it retains moisture.

o

I used to add peat moss, but it is cost prohibitive when done on a large scale. The mushroom manure accomplishes pretty much the same thing except that it also adds nutrients. Peat moss is sterile and is good for tilth, but my soil isn't as bad as I thought. The manure will hopefully work fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here