Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Pygmy date question

trishmick
12 years ago

Have had a multi trunked (5) one in a pot for years. Well, I've not had good luck of late with my palms. Had this one out a little too early perhaps during some cold and wet weather. Current sunny and warm trend is not helping what has been a fairly quick decline of all but the largest of the set. Are these easy to seperate? And is this common when you have multiple trunks in a pot? A large Majesty has probably given up the ghost after many years due to being outside while we were away for a week in late March. Temps really dropped, and it even got snowed on. Gradually got sicker and sicker, and is now all but toast. I have tried planting it in the ground and am being patient, but don't expect it to recover. Now, this Phoenix is doing the same thing. Kind of like dominoes dropping, each trunk turns brown and brittle. Don't want it to go the way of the Majesty...

Comment (1)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I have actually had pretty good luck with pyrgmy palms regrowing spears after spears pull. They take all Summer to recover, but at least they have a chance. Im not sure if Pygmy palms would be able to handle snow because anything below the mid 20s will likely kill it (of course established, healthy plants in the ground could be an exception and duration is another huge factor). I did have a majesty palm outside once in 28F weather and it got a light coating of snow. It was 4 plants in a pot and 2 of the palms died and 2 lived. I was pretty impressed (my young peace lily also survived that time!)

Keep it well watered in the heat of the summer and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose by tryng your best to keep it alive!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths