Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

Magnolia Grandiflora blooming

wetsuiter
11 years ago

This is one of the largest magnolias in town. Sadly, the champion came crashing down after the record snows of 2010 (21" followed by 10" three days later). That beautiful tree was at lease 50' tall and had the classic look with all the lower limbs intact and touching the ground. But this one is pretty good.

Comments (16)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I'm guessing mine will start to flower in the next couple weeks. I'm hoping to get some blooms on my smaller one. I moved it to a full sun location a few weeks back because it wasn't doing anything, growth or flowering, in mostly shade.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Beautiful southern magnolia! The ones here haven't bloomed yet, but it shouldnt be long now!
    -Alex

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I hope mine blooms this year. It's on its third of fourth life. Ever few years, voles girdle the trunk during the winter, and it has to regenerate from the roots. That was last year -- it is about 3-4 feet tall now, multi-stemmed (decided that might be a better vole strategy). I love the blooms.

• User
    11 years ago

I have at least six different cultivars of grandifloras. None blooming yet but all began putting on new growth much sooner than ever before. All sailed through the freak Oct snow storm but the northern, deciduous, Star magnolia got slammed.

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We didn't get the freak October snow. Ocean was still relatively warm, so while it was snowing an hour north of here, it was in the low 50s all day. Still, it was a miserable rainy day, but was glad for it after watching Philly and NYC on the news!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Yeah that was really not a fun storm. Ironically enough it was the worst snow storm of the season. My yard only got 2 inches. I live a block away from the ocean and there was no tree damage on my block and things were not really weighed down that much. The only thing damaged was the musa basjoos (the leaves collapsed in the snow, but the stronger leafed bananas had little damage). It was very interesting to see my cordyline (ti plant) so top heavy from the snow (and just the fact that it had snow on it in general was really weird!) It had no damage and is growing well right now so they are pretty snow tolerant as long as its above freezing!
    A 10 minute car ride from the ocean and there was nearly an entire inch more than by my house and lots of trees down, some blocks were unpassable because of all the tree limbs!
    I feel bad for the areas with a food or more of snow, there must have been a lot of chaos there!

We had a lot of memorable storms last year.
    -Alex

• User
    11 years ago

Got my first M.grandiflora bloom of the current season today (on the cultivar Majestic Beauty) High in the canopy, hard to take a picture, but if I get out later will try to post a pic. This is the same tree that survived a case of deer rutting a few years ago, then two winters ago had some snow damage due to the winter from hell.

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good for you. They are blooming all over town now. It's fun seeing the seasonal blooms slowly work its way up the coast.

• mike-jaramillo
    11 years ago

Hello good afternoon, I also have a magnolia a little over 8ft tall and this year its had only about 8 flowers developing for the past three weeks and 2 or 3 decided to open today. I am very happy myself

{{gwi:1137774}}

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats, Mike. Is this the first time it's flowered for you? Where are you located?

• mike-jaramillo
    11 years ago

I was in chicago just moved to plainfield illinois. Yes this is the first time its flowered

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Congrats Mike. The mild winter must have really got it blooming for you! The blooms on mags are always a great thing to see no matter how common or uncommon they are in your neighborhood. The fragrance is pretty great too!
    -Alex

• cfa_li
    11 years ago

Their flowers are out in Williamsburg, VA. They have a citrus smell. They've quickly become one of my favorite trees.

I wish we had more of them in NY.

• User
    11 years ago

Cfa--li, ask your nursery if they will order one for you--a good nursery will go out of its way for customers and customer interest and inquiries are one way a nursery knows what will sell. Local NJ nurseries started selling grandifloras a few years ago (including big box stores) and I've been growing them for over a decade in the Metro NJ/NYC area. Biggest mistake I see is that because they are relatively new, some people have no idea how big most will get and plant so close to the house you'd think they were planting some holly bush. Best cultivars for the area are probably Edith Bogue and Victoria but most will succeed.

• wetsuiter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have a garden big enough for one, but have a few on my street and a 20' "seedling" that I rescued from under the parent tree that I planted behind my property in an unattended strip. I like to bring single magnolia blossoms and place them in a shallow bowl with water. They fragrance the entire house. They're all over town, so its easy to borrow a bud from time to time.

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

I have Bracken's Brown Beauty and it should open some flowers in the next day or two. Growth is very good. It's about 8 feet tall, and considering it was moved in 2010, it's done really well.

{{gwi:5901}}

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville