Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec

After the frost

chadec
11 years ago

Hopefully we have seen the last frost here. The last frost burnt back plants that stayed green all through winter. Even the sudden dip in temps caused my dwarf crape myrtle to drop its leaves. And now its bark appears brittle.I have needle palms that developed spear pull. So I really hope that the 90F weather we had today stays a little longer.

For some reason this trachys fronds are not opening all the way.

Hibicus got burnt bad.

{{gwi:1137820}}

This bed looked bad enough I took up the castle block and started a complete redo. The musas are burnt. The crape is a shrub form, but has been stunted for the season. If its still alive. And the lavender.... IDK!

But not all is bad. My largest T. princep, varigated poker and other agaves.

Front yard is coming along great for a change.

Succulents starting to bloom as well.

First bloom for my leather leaf mahonia.

Needle palm and sabal minor in the back.

Another windmill

Shade garden in front yard.

{{gwi:1137830}}

Another shade garden containing a sabal minor.

My newest rock garden from last year starting to come along.

Thanks for looking

Comment (1)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear about the frost damage. Hopefully the crape myrtle recovers for you. Im sure its still alive, but I'm interested in hearing if it grows back this season and blooms.
    We very narrowly missed a frost here. I think we may have gotten a very light frost because I noticed my elephant ears are a little brown in some spots, but they arent melted like a frost would usually cause (and other tropical plants were unharmed). We arent getting the heat you are getting though so at least you are getting a nice warm up which should give the plants a nice chance to recover!
    Today got up to 55F here. Thats about 15 degrees below average! Should get to 80F by friday, but 60s in between. Temperatures are really up and down, mostly down though!

The succulents all look great and so does the front yard! I'm sure your glad that you planted a lot of hardy subtropicals after seeing what that frost does to tropicals! Your yard is really filling out nicely!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!