Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

Photos for a raining day!

chadec7a
12 years ago

My wife and I Bought our house 4 years ago, so not to many plants are mature. This is the first home I ever had that I could actually plant something. So to most of you I would still be a beginner since the first hole I ever dug was only 3 years ago.

Me at Myrtle Beach Putt Putt.

Heres the windmill that had spearpull. There were two trunks from seed, but the other didn't make it even though it was twice as big.

A couple of my needle palms.

Here are my hybrid EE's and tropicannas.

{{gwi:1137882}}

Trachy with 2 minors.

My musa sikkimenis and brugmansia not doing to well.

At least my musella lasiocarpa doesn't mind all the rain.

{{gwi:260058}}

This musa seems to be doing good. It's not in full sun but it still gets over the house every year(my wife for scale).

{{gwi:494654}}

{{gwi:545153}}

{{gwi:545157}}

My potted sabal palmeto.

An army of Agave parryi and americana for next years new rock garden.

{{gwi:548356}}

Thanks for looking,

Chad

Comments (20)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics! I see you guys are getting a ton of rain there too! Everything is soaked here! One of my hanging baskets broke off because it was so heavy and lots of flowers have fallen off various plants prematurely because its been pouring!
    I think your brugmansia looks pretty good! This is my first full year with them (I got my fist one September of this past summer). Maybe if Im lucky I'll see my first brug flower ever around July.
    I really like the Musa Basjoo! It looks like it will have no problem reaching the roof again this summer! I had bad luck with my young musella lasiocarpa last year. Maybe I'll try them again some day because yours looks really nice!
    Im looking forward to seeing some more updates. Once the warm weather gets more consistent, Im sure things are going to look even more lush!
    -Alex

• ncpalmzone7
    12 years ago

those are great pix chad!i to share the same story as you my friend.As a kid i was always fascinated with palms.My love for palms grew when i came home from a hard's night work and never any time for vacation so i plan to bring the tropical resort to me,alot of expensive hit and miss.Alot of convincing for the wife she so over my palm projects.But when you live in the piedmont of Nc like you and i,a palm tree is a appreciated sign of paradise

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice Chad-

It will definitely be fun to see how things progress during the growing season.

Thanks for posting these(-:

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Send that precip east, we havn't had any appreciative moisture in quite a while, it's good we havn't had it in the 90's every other day or we would be in sad shape here near the coast. Your place looks good, let time do it's thing now & you'll be all smiles soon!

• protempsfish
    12 years ago

Come July/Aug, your place will fill in nicely. Good job.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone,
    I don't see any end to this rain so I'm not sure how things are going to turn out. I have already completely dug up the rock garden and amended the soil due to the precip. Now I need to install a frenchdrain above the bed. I have lost alot of cannas this year that just didn't come back. And of course my large A. americana but dixiboy has one I can dig up. lol

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

Nice pics is that variegated new Zealand flax. How did you overwinter it?

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

We didn't name our doberman 'killer' for nothing!! lol

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dixieboy, didn't you know killer loves peanut butter! But seriously, I'm getting ready to get either a new brazoria or birmingham in a larger size. Which do recommend in both hardiness and looks? Since you are the sabal minor guru!

Statenislandpalm I don't have any of that, not sure which pic you are refering to. If its not in a pot it stays in the ground. The only thing that gets protected outside is my cacti, agave and palms. Just let me know which pic and I'll let you know what it is.

• statenislandpalm7a
    12 years ago

The last pic or is that yucca

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, those are bright edge yuccas. My second favorite yucca next to filamentosa.

• dixieboy
    12 years ago

Chad, the brazoria is by far rated A+ in my book from a to z.

• jaynboro
    12 years ago

Hey Chad, nice pics. Was wondering what that plant is in the pic above your wife and banana? One that looks like candy corn? That's pretty cool!

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hate you asked, I bought that plant 3 years ago and come close to tossing it in the trash a couple of times. Its made me so angry. Then finally I found a place that made it happy. This is the first year it bloomed. I picked it up from HD and they carry them pretty regularly. I'll check it out tomorrow when I go by. It's a fairly small bush only 2'x 2'.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jaynboro, the plant in question is Cytisus scoparius or Scotch broom.

• jaynboro
    12 years ago

Thanks Chad. Hate you going to all that trouble.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem, I was going by anyway to pick up sand for a new shipment of cacti. I have 2 spineless opnutia, opuntia galapagos and tree cholla.

• foxglove12
    10 years ago

Foothills , just looking for info on brugs. bought yellow and pink this summer and fell in love. Looking for anyone nearby for advice and possibly obtaining other colors. in spite of recent cold weather outdoor brugs doing well with loads of flowers.

• foxglove12
    10 years ago

just noticed that this isn't a forum on Brugs . So sorry

• chadec
    10 years ago

Really nice to look back on what my garden looked like then. Everything was so small, even my waist.

My Brugs all came from Plant Delights nursery.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm