Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall Alexander Palms in Hawaii

Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 22:43

These are some of the old Archontophoenix alexandrae palms growing along the stream on the property my wife and I own on the Big Island. They sure get tall and make a mess with all the fallen fronds!

photo 2014-05-15 10.13.56_zpstlvxn4db.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall Alexander Palms in Hawaii

Awesome! I love the Alexandrae forest near Hilo. Love the Big Island and love Hawai'i, we go every year! Nice palms!

o

You should see how big they get in habitat.When they grow in forests they really have to push high to clear the canopy. Once they're out in the sun they slow down. If you have palms you're going to have fronds, it comes with the territory.

o

I hate when my tropical forest palms make a mess...
Well,I cant be too jealous..I do have King palms that some day will be quite the bit taller then the 20' the tallest reaches now. I also look forward to the day those brown palm trunks bleach out from years of sun ...to that nice white. If it wasn't for the delicate plants under them, a weak bleaching of the trunk might be very attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here