Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilson1963_gw

Windmill palm, How much water??

wilson1963
15 years ago

Hello group, great site, lots of neat people and ideas. My question is: I planted a windmill palm about 3 weeks ago, the new fans that were coming up while in the pot are turning brown since being in the ground. It's been wet here, can too much water on this in zone 6 this time of year be the cause? Thanks...Don

Comments (18)

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Don
    This can't be stressed enough especially for windmills
    Does it have good drainage ? Because they will realy sulk
    for a long time if they are staying wet and it will eventually kill your plant. If when you water your water stays on top of the ground for over a minute then you realy need to ammend your ground with sand that will help all that extra rain water drain on through. You know
    you are going to have to protect this plant from cold damage too right ?

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes I will winter it over along with my basjoo, I am going to dig it up and add alot of sand tonight...

• alex_7b
    15 years ago

What are the soil temps there?

"I will winter it over along with my basjoo" What does this mean? Are you going to dig it up each winter? Are you going to cut the leaves annd wrap the trunk?

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Temps now are 50's at nights, upper 70's in the day, Ground "was" prepared with peat and soil and some sand...I removed tree this evening and put 12" of sand under the palm and 3-4" around the sides. I noticed the roots were growing. Wintering will be christmas lights at the base and cover with insulated box....basjoo will be cut long, mulched around the bottom and also have lights and insulation. I was relieved to see some root growth, maybe it's just the change that occured when it was taken from the pot and put in the ground....keep the hints and tips coming.....thanks....Don

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Hey wilson1963,do you know the name of those cactus?

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know the name of the cactus in the wheelbarrel, it has been in the family around 75 years, give or take 1-2, I have seen blooms similar to it on google images, but have never personally seen one like it. In my photo bucket, there is a hanging cactus that also is very old and has been in the family since I can remember and I am 45. I am going to try to post a pic of the palm, but feel free to go to my photobucket site and look around.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/wilson1963/Musa%20Basjoo/

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

It looks like the growth bud got either cold damage (did you have a hard frost after you planted it?), or possibly physical damage from actually being bent. Your frond pushing up is showing that damage. But hey, as long as the fronds are pushing up, the apical tissue should be OK. It will just take time to get it all pushed out.

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No frost at all and it was really green (the center) when I planted it, that is what caused my concern about the wetness, when I pulled it out of the ground yesterday, there was root growth that was promising. I'm really new at palms (of course living in Ohio) I hope with the new drainage system (sand) it will come out of whatever the cause is.
    JimHardy in Iowa, if you find out what kind of cactus that is, let me know....and if you want a start, let me know that too. I have started many of them off this. 40 some blooms last year from it but they only last a day or so.

• billn119
    15 years ago

Don,,,, I planted a windmill 3 years ago and im in northern Ohio, Before planting mine I dug out 3 ft. deep and 5 ft wide and removed 75% of the clay. I believe that a little clay will secure the trees root sytem. I added soil conditioner, potting soil, and some organics with some sand. I also set a little higher above ground for drainage . I have had so much luck with this one I planted a sabal palmetto. I know it can be done but remember to protect heavy in the winter. The palm can continue growing in the winter and be as green when spring comes. I go a little overboard but its worth it,,,no spear pull, or months of waiting to see if its going to make it...So put sometime into it and it will be rewarding,,,,Bill

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

The hanging succulent is a Stapelia. Lots of common names. Carrion flower for one since it smells like rotten meat and draws flys. But I like it anyway.
    http://almostedenplants.com/mall/Starfishcactus.asp
    The one in the wheelbarrow is an Echinopsis tubiflora. Common name Hedgehog.
    Beautiful cactus. I hope the soil is well drained in the wheelbarrow. And it is where someone can't walk up and roll it away. I have had cactus stolen from my front door 200 ft off the road.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echinopsis tubiflora

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Billn19, The island we live on is well drained and mostly sand, i thought I was doing it a favor the first time I planted it and added peat and good rich soil, which held what I thought to be too much water. I hope it comes out of this brown stage, if not, I probably will get another one... I can see me getting bit by the palm bug here in SE Ohio.

Cactusfreak, Thanks for that info, yes, the starffish cactus sure does smell, I thought more like vomit, but yes, draws flies but is beautiful, and the link to the hedgehog cactus is super, have found some similar but no matches like that. The wheelbarrel is well drained with gravel and holes and is really heavy and akward. I probably will chain it to the post just to be totally safe. Thanks to all for the info and input.....Don

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

Wilson, do you leave the Hedgehog cactus outside in the wheelbarrow all winter?
    I read they are hardy in Ala. I would like to try it here in Ga. If you have one to spare and I have something to trade. Or for postage and trouble.
    They are rated zone 9.

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It comes out after last frost and goes back to the basement before first frost in the fall...email me at dondillion@hotmail.com with an address and I will get you a start. You can send me something if you wish, but is not necessary. I'm going to SC in 2 weeks, wife is worried what I might bring home. Planted 102 impatients today...lol.

• wilson1963
    Original Author
    15 years ago

UPDATE, 7.13.2008
    Windmill palm has grown 2 fans in last 2 weeks, whatever the problem was it sure has went away, thanks for all the help....my wheelbarrel hedgehog cactus had 10 blooms on it over the 4th of july, we had lots of rain here and it beat them up pretty quickly, but I did manage to get a couple of photos of them.....working on a wintering box already, think I'm going plywood with insulation inside, eye hooks on top for tie down purposes and a light bulb or christmas lights with mulch...I guess my goal is to have my Basjoo bloom and palm tree survive...voodoo lilly is a foot tall and if it ever quits raining here things might take off...lol.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Its really important yo learn EVERYTHING you can if you want palms to survive out of their rated zone,I have spent hundreds of hours studying different techniques,the one I have followed is Growing palms in colorado springs zone 5b,I think it can't be stressed enough to keep palms dry going into late fall and through winter(esp if there is a chance they may be exposed to 0F and lower temps) and gradually expose them to moisture so palms can get there roots going again when moisture and soil temps increase,otherwise new root growth is stunted and roots that died back rot in cold wet soil and this threatens the plant which is in a weak state anyway coming out of winter.WILSON,I thank you for your offer of cactus plants I did not see it untill now,I grew these when I was a, kid and enjoyed their blooms.I ordered some off e-bay,I think that is why I was asking if you knew the name-CACTUSFREAK,thanks for posting the name,I don't think I ever knew it in all the years I grew it!

• Blaide
    10 years ago

How many times a week would you water one on average

• User
    10 years ago

No one can answer this question because no data as been provided (growing conditions, soil, geography, climate, sun exposure). Valid answers may range from every day to never and anything in the middle.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor