Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shebert73

queen palm looks bad...please help

shebert73
18 years ago

I didn't get a chance to take a picture before dark, so I'll try to explain the best I can - sorry. I'm also a palm-newbie, so please forgive me if I don't have all the terminology right.

We have a queen palm that was planted last fall. If I had to guess the height I would say ~8-10ft. Today I noticed that on one of the stalks, the leaves at the base look like they have been fried off. It seems to be spreading up the stalk and the longer leaves are turning yellow. I also noticed that there is not a "leader frond" or stalk (is that right???)...new growth is what I'm trying to say I guess.

I do not know what I need to do - but I don't want to lose this tree.

PLEASE HELP

Comments (11)

• unautre
    18 years ago

If it's dead, it's dead.

If it's alive, it's alive.

Other than keeping it moist, and maybe some anti-fungal like neem or copper, all you can do is wait.

A tree that size could use some palm-specific fert here at the beginning of the warm season, but fert won't save it if it has decided to die/is dead.

the emeging frond can be called the "apical meristem", the unique point where all new growth occurs, at the apex of the plant.

• shebert73
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My aren't you helpful. Yes, I realize this... If it's dead, it's dead. If it's alive, it's alive.

But any other advice would be helpful. Does the absence of an emerging fond sound bad?

• markbee
    18 years ago

I'm trying to picture what you have, and from the description, I don't think it sounds that bad. Sounds like it could be damage from a cold spell over the Winter. There won't always be a new leaf, or "leader" growing. As was said above, I would get some palm fert and feed it 3 times/year. Give a good *deep* watering 1-2 times per week. Post a pic if you can. Good luck with it!

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Shebert where are you located? A center frond or spear not present is not the end of the world but it is bad. It could be lethal yellowing as this palm is susceptable to this disease. Pics work the best if you post or send me one. I have had alot a queens myself, dont want to discredit myself but have not been able to keep any alive, all due to my weather here though. Also its a new palm planting, does it have 8-10 ft of trunk or is it just 8-10 ft tall? Anyway pics are worth a thousand words.. treating lethal yellow is not cheap if thats what it is, if you are from Florida or surrounding areas and it is lethal yellow, it can spread to other palms as its spread by insects and or tools. The best rememdy I am sorry to say if it is LY is to dig it up and plant a new one. Queens are fairly cheap there anyway.. I wouldnt take the chance of infecting your other palms if you have any.. Anyway send me some pics or post them if you can.. kevip@excite.com

• shebert73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The whole tree is 8-10 ft, not just the trunk.

I went to Home Depot today and they did not have copper fungicide. I bought another type though. And we did fertilize about a month ago. It's too soon to do it again, but what about palm tree spikes? Could I get some of those right now? The fertilizer was bought at a nursery near Livingston, Texas. I don't know the name, but I seen a few posts about the place here. The fertilizer was in an old milk jug. So I probably need to get fertilizer from a more reputable dealer next time.

BTW...I'm in Southeast Texas...about 40 miles north of Houston.

I will take pictures and try to post.

• shebert73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I made a new post with pics

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Well your weather will support a Queen, didnt see your post with pics. Let me know where it is or email them at kevip@excite.com

• rick08
    17 years ago

My palm tree had started dying out about 1 1/2 to 2 months ago. I fertilized it, and nothing happened. Leaves started dying on it, then it started leaking some kind of liquid down the trunk. There was an odor from the liquid. After some weeks the entire canopy tilted like it was going to fall off the tree. I ended up cutting the tree down. The canopy was rotted inside and the trunk was leaking liquids. This tree was about 15 feet tall and approximately 10 years old, in the full sun. I'd like to know what happened to it. Diseased? Could it spread to my other palms? Please let me know, thanks.

• david_
    17 years ago

Your palm could of got fungal rot in the bud and it has taken this long to notice it. When it rains in the winter time it causes the bud to get a fungus sometimes and if you dont catch it early it can be deadly.I'm just guessing and maybe I'm wrong. I had several do this last year.If you spray the bud with copper right before it gets cold and then at about a month and a half later it can help from this happening but still not guaranteed.Don't spray it to often because that can kill the palm too.

• Steve Cochrane
    8 years ago

Our Queen in Chandler AZ is dying as well. We have noticed a bunch of them, around where we line, that look the same. I have watered ours and pruned some of the old fronds off. I am a little reluctant to invest anything more into it. It is in the 10-13 years old range, and about 15'-20' tall. No love lost if it dies, as I will replace it with something that will need less maintenance.

• PRO
    Karen Vaisman Photography
    7 years ago

I have many queen plams in the Los Angeles area. Half my yard they are flourishing. The other half they are very very narrow at the top and the palm leaves are struggling to grow (few fronds and yellow). These trees are 25 years old. For a while I thought a tree might have caused too much shade near them but I cut that tree back. Any suggestions on how to revive those that are struggling? One Gardner said they make some sort of fertilizer "spikes" you can put in soil near base of tree. Have you heard of that? I think they struggled due to the drought and watering limitations, which are over now. But what is odd, is that the other half of the yard they are flourishing. help!