Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Greenhouse palms

siegel2
13 years ago

I removed just about all the plants that were in my greenhouse and planted them outside. Then I planted almost all my potted palm in the ground inside.(ridiculously close together). The greenhouse is heated so they won't experience any temperatures below 60 degrees F. Don't know what its going to look like in a few years, but it will be interesting.

{{gwi:296897}}

Areca catechu dwarf

{{gwi:296898}}

Chamaedorea tuerckeimii

Comments (10)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think its going to look really nice in a few years. You have a great collection!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• protempsfish
    13 years ago

Nice collection! Where did you get your dwarf catechu? I have been looking for seedlings of these and I cant ever find the dwarf variety!

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I got 50 Areca catechu dwarf seeds from Thailand a few years ago. Out of the 20 or so that germinated only one turned out to be a true dwarf. I have since found out that this is quite common. The other seedlings have grown into what appear to be regular size A. catechu. One is four feet tall.

If you are really interested, I have another true A. catechu dwarf that I got from another source, but they are kinda pricey.

Here's some more palms in the greenhouse

Pholidostachys pulchra

{{gwi:296900}}

Pinanga ceasia

{{gwi:296901}}

Some Heliconia plants, too

Bihai Lemaii Variegata

Helicon zebrina

• protempsfish
    13 years ago

How long have you been collecting? I love the ceasia moreso than the pinanga coronata-good choice. No doubt the true dwarf catechu would be pricey. Do you have a source for standard catechu? i have read on many different forums that they are a very 'fussy' species and they need constant tropical conditions and do very poorly when the temp drops.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been collecting palms about 5 years.

Tropical Gardens of Hawaii has standard Areca catechu. One for $9.50 or 10 for $30. in well rooted 6 inch tubes.

The plants I get from them arrive quickly and are good size for the price.

The do not tolerate cold or even cool temperatures at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com/palms.aspx

• jaynboro
    13 years ago

very cool. loved looking at your palms! thanks!
    jay

• protempsfish
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to have a carpoxylon macrospermum? They are one of my fav's as well.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I have a few seed grown Carpoxylon macrospermum. They can grow outside here in southern California, so I don't have any in the greenhouse.

• siegel2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This place just got some Areca catechu dwarf seeds in. They are far away in Thailand, but I have not had any trouble getting seeds from them. Often the seeds are already germinating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Areca catechu dwarf seeds

• hatemajestypalms
    11 years ago

Would i be able to grow pinanga caesia, pinanga speciosa,verschaffeltia splendida,areca ipot,areca macrocarpa, areca guppyana,areca vestiaria and areca catechu indoors if my house temp was set at 72 the whole day? All i have is a old sunbeam humidifier that if i look at my windows, it ( the humidity) consistantly stays 5cm above the woodline.would i be able to do it for 5-7 months.? I live in shakopee,MN.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area