Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

New and old coconut palm...

us_marine
13 years ago

Here's a pic of my coconut palms:

One on left is my newest coconut palm, and the one on the right is the one I had the longest. All the fronds you see on it are California grown:)

Which one do you think looks happiest? I wonder what causes the difference in color between the two? I know my oldest coco has not seen anything below 36f, but does stay outside most of the year here. Low humidity and hot temps above 105f is probably why. I do use a palm fertilzer so it should have everything it needs.

I bought the new one to plant outside in ground with no root heating cables to test my area again. Last time failed, but I think that was do to the record breaking cold this winter. It was still green with very little damage when temps dropped to 28f, which usually is the coldest it gets here and does so maybe 1 to 3 times at most a year. What killed it was three days in a row and their lows were-25f,23f,and 26f.

Anyway good luck with all your palms:)

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Great palms! Too bad your coco didnt survive outside, but its definitely worth a try again. Your new palm reminds me a lot of mine a few months ago (They are practically identical!). How long did it take for your larger one to start splitting its leaves.

The color difference could be because its a different type of coconut, but it might also be because its not in the perfect enviroment.

I consider these palms much more tolerant than I thought they were. I didnt water mine all winter long and it was in a warm but very dry room. It had a bit of damage from the neglect, but Im amazed that the spear didnt pull. They can handle short durations down to 30 without much damage, but actual cold tolerance varies from tree to tree (as seen from the cold in Florida this winter which also shows how much a microclimate makes a difference to plants).
    Im sure yoru coconut palms will do great and they already look like they are off to a nice start.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tropicalzone7. It started splitting after it had grown two new fronds. But for me getting it somewhat acclimatized was harder, as it wouldn't grow much for a long time. On average, I think they start splitting when they have grown between 8-12 fronds,or from my experience, at just over a year and a half. How long have you had your coco? How many fronds have it grown since you got it, and how many are there total? I bet by the end of this summer yours will be or starting to split.
    Hope it grows mature fronds soon,and good luck to you too:)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I have had mine for a year now and its probably almost a year and a half year old now. It has grown about 7 fronds and about 4 of those in the summer. So far it has grown one full frond since late march when it went out for the summer. Im thinking it will probably start splitting leaves late this summer. Im really looking forward to it starting to look like a coconut palm. I would love to see it fruit, but I dont think it ever will in a pot.

Good luck, I really think you will get some fruit from yours if its well cared for in the ground with some winter heat.
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now lets see how this " what I think is a warm micro-climate" plays out...

My goal is to grow it outside as long as possible, but use protection when needed-
    I just planted it in ground today:) This location is the best I could find for many reasons. It's a wall facing south with a giant tree in front of it that shades it somewhat during very hot days, but allows winter sun through. Has a brick wall to radiat some heat, and is up hill slightly.
    Because of clay soil and hardpan as well as weather conditions: I dug deep but not too wide on purpose mainly do to strong winds, dry hot weather in summer, and cold wet weather in winter. I wouldn't be surprized if the roots on surface dry out or rot. For soil I mixed sand with a palm/cactus mix with a 60:40 ratio, along with small amounts of clay soil from my area.
    Only problem I see is that bananas I planted a few feet farther from wall do get fried every year. However a small shoot that was a few inches closer to wall than the rest surived the winter before last without any damage?That makes me wish that I have payed more attention the past winters to spot micro-climates.

@tropicalzone7- Yeah,I am very sure your coconut palm will grow mature fronds by summer times end, maybe earlier too if temps stay warm. Yours will fruit way before mine does, exspecially if you plant it in a large container. You got to show me some pics when it gets its first mature fronds :) Best of luck- US_Marine

• david_
    13 years ago

Nice looking palm.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think your coconut palm has a great chance for survial over there and its probably the best microclimate I could think of!
    And Ill definitely post some pcis when its first mature fronds come out. When that happens it will probably also be upgraded to a larger pot. I think to get fruit from it it will need a MASSIVE pot, but thats a few years away.
    Good luck! I hope that this winter is a mild winter for all of us because I think the palms would really enjoy it!

-Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would love to see it fruit :) Drinking a fresh coconut right off the tree on a hot summer day! Sounds nice, hope it happens for the both of us. Thanks David, hope your plants are doing well also.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Fruiting coconut palms are definitely something that is taken for granted in the tropics. I cant imagine going out to my coconut tree and pulling fruit off of it. Sounds like paradise! Hopefully we will see fruit from our coconut palms one day, but they are still growing out of their coconuts so I think they have a long way! But with great care I think a fruiting coconut can be a reality. :)

Good luck!