Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

May 2013 yard update!

tropicalzone7
10 years ago

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted pics of my plants, mostly because my plants all struggled a lot this spring. The palms all burned outdoors despite spring being below average temperature wise.
My Cannas, passion vine, and mexican petunias all failed to come back this year. I never had that problem before, especially with my passion vine. My Passion vine did start coming back 2 weeks ago, but quickly shriveled up so I'm not sure what was going on with that.
Everything else is pretty far behind (fig, ginger, and oleander for example), although I will admit that the elephant ears got a GREAT headstart this year for some reason and my brugmansia and bananas are right on schedule.
Today was really warm though and I finally saw some noticable growth. Got up to 97F in my yard (it was a pretty humid and sunny 97F). Looks like 90s for the next 2 days. Even though that is way too hot to be comfortable in, I am excited to see the plants start growing.
Here are some pics!
I got an awesome bismarkia palm today and it might be my favorite plant purchase of the year so far.

My bottle palm is also new (my spindle palm was in this spot last year and got toasted in the spring so I had to put that somewhere less noticable)

My Adondila got some frond damage but nothing really severe. Once it grows another frond or 2, it should look pretty good again!

My Pygmy Palm is also new, I don't know if I will bring it in since I have terrible luck with them, but still a few months before I have to worry about that!

Yucca filamentosa with some geraniums

Pool area plants are starting off slow. Planted butterfly ginger all over the place there so it should look great in a couple more weeks and smell really nice in the fall!

Close up on my largest trachy

Pygmy palm and Plumeria

My coconut palm

Schefflera

This area also took a hard hit this spring, but it should make a comeback soon!

Some plumeria blooms to hopefully look forward to soon!

I'll post some more pics tomorrow or Saturday!
Thanks for looking!
-Alex

Comments (9)

• northbay12
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That Bismarckia is absolutely gorgeous! Great find, I swear if I ever see one I WILL get it... Also digging that patio with all the potted plants, very lush, nice!

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very nice looking. I think everyone is having a slow start. Some of my cannas didnt return and my brugs are not growing.

• jacklord
    10 years ago

Looking good as always.

Agree that "Slow" is the theme this spring.

• theseventhlegend
    10 years ago

Looking good Alex considering the winter you've been through. Maybe growth will pick up, it's almost summer!

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very nice looking. I think everyone is having a slow start. Some of my cannas didnt return and my brugs are not growing.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments!
    Northbay12, Bismarkias are definitely one of my favorite palms. They are always around at the local nurseries this time of the year and usually I never get them, but I had to get one this year!
    Chadec and jacklord, yeah this spring has been awful. The recent warm weather has helped a lot, hopefully we get a lot of this weather in June because the plants love it. I'll be happy if all my plants full out in time for Fourth of July which is now only 4 weeks away!
    Theseventhlegend, yeah this winter was definitely not too kind of one and spring was not too great either, but the first day of meteorological summer is just an hour away so hopefully the hot and muggy weather will be here to stay soon!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quick update.....
    Well I figured that the newest frond on the bismarkia looked a little weird since it was bright green so I pulled on the newest spear and it was completely rotted! You could even smell the rot from it. Hopefully I'll be able to return the palm since I only bought it 2 days ago. I'll post pics of the new bismarkia if I'm able to return this one.
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    10 years ago

Your yard looks great and that bismarckia is a very colorful addition.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dennis! Hope everything's going well in your yard too!
    -Alex