Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fungus on Sabal?

Posted by nwmstropics (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 0:10

I have a sabal minor that has a white scaley looking fungus on it. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fungus on Sabal?

Yes, that is a common scale found on palms. I use malathion (a concentrated fluid you mix with water) that can be found at any local palm nursery. It typically runs 15-20 bucks a bottle but will last about a year or so.

Application is easy if you have a pump sprayer. gently coat your leaves and trunk with the solution to form a barrier to keep harmful insects and scale off your palm.

Scale should be gone within the week after you spray!

Hope this helps!

o

I've had some scale on a Mediterranean fan palm. I've used a combination of water sprayed directly on the scale to wash most off, Safer Insecticidal Soap, and coffee grounds around the palm. Someone on another palm site recommended the coffee grounds. Not sure what has been most effective, but they seem to be under control.

o

I always use neem oil for scale, but I use chemicals only as a last resort, organic first line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here